Find
Notify
Tools

Aftermarket M700 Trigger... Jard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
Looking at the very simple / M70-ish Jard aftermarket for the M700. Any experience with these?

What dou you like/reccomend?

No, not going to spend $200 for a Jewel!

Thak's for the input!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'v put several standard hunting ones in. they work out well and the customers were happy. just follow the directions and go through the safety checks.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Max, they give a weight of 32 oz's... is that the "minimum pull weight"... I like my hunting triggers at 3lbs. Is 3 lb's doable?

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To begin with, the factory trigger is fine.

If I needed a replacement, I would choose a Timney. Very nice.

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Catalog_Tim_Rem.htm

-Spencer

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The factory trigger is not an option.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Jewels (2 oz) for target rifles, but for hunting weight triggers, I like the SHilen on the M700. Hate the factory triggers, Tiomney is OK

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the triggers they make seem to all be the same. the factory supplies the spring for the weight of pull you want. eveyone i have ever installed came out to the factory specified weight within a few ounces.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have mostly Jewell triggers, but like the Shilens. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rem 700 Rifle Basix trigger for less than $100 from MidwayUSA, followed the instructions and installed it myself. Piece of cake. Then I took it to Africa.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
Max, they give a weight of 32 oz's... is that the "minimum pull weight"... I like my hunting triggers at 3lbs. Is 3 lb's doable?

Thanks.

Brad-

They actually offer two versions...

A "varmint" trigger that is approx 14 oz, and a "hunting" trigger that is about 28 oz.

I have used the varmint version. It works well, but I'm not convinced that dropping in a Shilen (my favorite) or a Timney isn't a better deal. You'll spend about $20 more, but you just pop it in, instead of tearing apart & "rebuilding" with the Jard kit.

Just a thought....

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Thank's gent's. Regarding the Jard, a 2lb trigger is too light for a cold weather hunting rifle. I'll check out the Shilen, RBasix and Timney... I'd really like one with a safety that locks the bolt as well.

Again, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd really like one with a safety that locks the bolt as well.

Brad-

Most of the aftermarket triggers require that you use the safety off of the factory trigger that you replace.

Shouldn't be any reason that you couldn't swap an older Rem safety onto the new trigger & get your bolt locking feature.

(Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on this one. I personally like the newer, non-locking safety, so I've never put an old style safety lever on any of my triggers.)

Matter of fact, if it will work, I'll go through my stuff, and if I can find any of the old style safeties, I'll just send it to you to use if you don't have one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney’s Ultra/light model has the bolt lock feature. All 700’s, even the newer ones, still have the slot for the bolt lock milled into the receiver so the Timney goes right on without any modification needed. You can also buy just the Ultra/Light 3 position safety parts that will fit all factory and most after market triggers.

If you haven’t used the bolt lock system allot you should get comfortable with it so it becomes “natural†for you before taking the gun hunting.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote