New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engraving numbers on barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm building a 404 jeffery, my gunsmith/machinest buddy is no doubt a good gunsmith, but I really don't want the typical stamped numbers on my barrel. I'm sure there is a place I can send it and get 404 jeffery engraved that looks nice.

comments please.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Billy
Yes, Scrollcutter that posts here.
Roger Kehr
e-mail, Kehrengraving@comcast.net

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger Kehr does excellent work. You will definately be pleased with the outcome. Only problem is that you will want more of his work on your rifle.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Ditto for Scrollcutter. He quoted $5 per character on an older thread.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last price I saw him list for that kind of lettering was 15 per, you should be able to turn it up by searching for his posts with entries of "price".

he does EXCELLENT work. I keep meaning to get the safe open and the camera out ot post pics of my triggerguard that just got back with my monogram inlaid in gold. I will write a note to do it tonight. I also just saw a pic of some letter he did on the rib of a double rifle, it was Old English script so probably more $$, but looked stunning.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Lettering varies in cost depending on style. Typically, the lettering style for caliber/maker's name would be a Roman or Copperplate. I have restructured my fees for lettering. Generally, a caliber marking will run $35.00 + ship and ins. That would be with a Roman/ Copperplate style lettering and about .1" in height.

The photos are Old English.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lettering varies in cost depending on style. Typically, the lettering style for caliber/maker's name would be a Roman or Copperplate. I have restructured my fees for lettering. Generally, a caliber marking will run $35.00 + ship and ins. That would be with a Roman/ Copperplate style lettering and about .1" in height.

The photos are Old English.

I don't know about everybody else, but the work you do on lettering impresses me more everytime I see it. Your work in general is topshelf, but the letter alignment and accuracy of your work goes beyond extraordinary.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Matt.

I have found that lettering accuracy is pretty critical. If it's out 2 or 3 thousandths it's evident to even the untrained eye.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a engraving machine the other week from a local shop that sells throohys for sportsevents etc. It�s a simpel duplicator that doesn�t use a mill or anything like that to do the engraving. I�m far from Scrollcutters level of jobs but I only use it to put calibers, neck dia etc. and my name on customers barrels.

I got the thing for 150 $US

Here�s an example of what the machine does.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote