Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silver Solder
 Login/Join

posted
Have to silver solder a bolt handle back on a bolt from a Rem 700.Was planning to use the fusion solder paste from Brownell's.Anyone know of something stronger? (welding not an option on this one guys.) Thanks,Frank.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Centuron,
Don't solder a bolt handle, tig weld it or have someone tig it for you...Not a costly job.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Centurian---

As long as it's ribbon solder that's CLEAN and both parts are clean and well fluxed, most any of the high temp solders work better than what Remington used for a while.

Make a clamp that's strongly spring loaded away from the heat. Otherwise the handle will slip when the solder flows.

Hey Ray.. It's a Remington. [Smile]

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Centurion,

Yup, Remingtons bolt handles are designed for solder. The fusion paste is too coarse and does not work well for this type of job, or any for that matter. The ribbon as Belk suggested is the better choice and it comes in .005 thickness which makes it ideal for Remington bolt handles and sights.

Latex medical gloves were designed just for this type of work. It doesn't take much to contaminate the ribbon or the joint. The gloves help keep everything clean. Clean is critical with solder. I would build a protective dam around the area with the "Heat Stop Paste" Brownells sells and pack the threaded end with the stuff as well. You will want to protect the cocking notch from over cooking. Good luck.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wupps, I missed the boat this time, didn't read it very close did I....

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote