Find
Notify
Tools

removing Marlin model 60 receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted
What is the best way to seperate the barrel from the receiver on a Marlin Model 60 22 rifle. Don't really want to scratch up the receiver trying so thought I would just ask here first.

Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I usually don't mess with it myself. I find most 13 gal Glad ForceFlex kitchen trash bags will take both barrel and receiver. Big Grin Just kidding! I have one in the shop. I'll have a look see for you Louis.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Westpac, That sounds like a plan to me!

A kid brought the rifle to me last fall with the stock taped to the barrel. Someone had redrilled and retapped the front (lug) screw hole and it had split out of the receiver. I was going to just send it to Marlin but they were in their transition at the time.

Meanwhile I found another receiver and thought the swap would be simple enough. The barrel is just pinned but is still pretty tight. Didn't know if a little heat might help or not. Thought I had better just ask the experts.

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Use a heavy piece of corrugated cardboard to pad the vise, and clamp the barrel upside down. Remove the pin and place a wood block against the magazine feed block and whack it with a hammer. The barrel is splined and will require a little force to break it free. Straight off, straight on. Avoid twisting the receiver so as not to destroy the splines. You shouldn't need any heat. Of course a little heat from a propane torch won't hurt anything unless you hold it in one spot too long. Big Grin Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Westpac says,,,we used to use a nylon faced hammer to give it a wack and remove them when I worked there in the early 70's. I don't ever recall one being on so terribly tight that it wouldn't come off.

We did have to destroy hundreds of them though as they were returned to the factory for repairs at the time (usually for the feed throats).
These were rifles made w/o serial numbers (pre 68) and were being returned as a warrenty exchange. They must have sat around for a while!

At first we stamped a new assigned sequence serial number onto the receiver after rebuilding the rifle. But the front office quickly decided that took too long and it was cheaper to strip the rifles for some of the parts and destroy the rest.

Those receivers we just removed and broke into pieces with the same nylon hammer on the vise.
The bbls were sent over to finishing were they were repolished, blued and used again on new rifles. The small usable parts we kept in the repair dept. The stocks that were in good shape got the same treatment that the bbls did but in the wood room.

There were shipping pallets full of these warrenty returned rifles. Mostly from Target, Coast to Coast, JC Penneys,,and other chain stores like that.
Those sintered metal feed throats w/the cast into place ejector were crap.

Bolt action .22 rifles (Model 81) got the same treatment if they came back under warrenty from one of the box stores. Those receivers (steel) had to be cut though and they were a pain to remove. We had a hand cranked press to push the receiver off the bbl for those.. Some didn't get cut up though and just got dumped in the ,,dump. That's another story.

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Thanks Westpac! I have some rubber jaws for the vice that I'll use. Just what I needed to hear. Sound advice.

2152hq, Sounds like there should be plenty of used parts out there for the Marlins. Hope you all didn't throw them all away. I like to hear those stories from poeple that were there. Reckon the used barrels shot better than the new ones?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Louis,

Rubber jaws may have too much give in them to allow the necessary shock that may be needed to get the receiver to move. I have rubber jaws as well but prefer the cardboard when I positively cannot have the thing move when I hit it. Good luck.