New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surface Rust Removal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello: Anybody know how to safely remove surface rust without scratching the surrounding blueing? I heard of 4x steel wool and gun oil, Also a certain brand of alloy wool? that is softer than steel wool. I just bought a Colt Officers Model Match in 22 Long Rifle, And it has a few areas that need to be cleaned up. Any special techniques to share? Thanks, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede, a good gunsmith once told me that fine grade steel wool and mineral oil are the best way to go. Gary Reeder and Doug Turnbull seem to have some majic restoration methods that work real well too. Maybe an email to those gentlemen would be of some use to you.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I use 0000 steel wool and oil. To much rubbing and you will have a nice bright shinny spot and no blue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that "Flitz" metal polish will remove light rust without harming the blueing. I haven't tried it myself though.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Beware! Flitz will even remove case coloring! A friend tried to litely use it on a case colored rollong block receiver that had some very lite rust. He now has a nice & shinny receiver with no cae coloring.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The oil and steel wool works well on light rust just remember not to go at it to hard. Lightly use the steel wool should take off most light rust.

Posts: 19582 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Wonder Gun Cleaning compound. Will not hurt the surrouinding bluing. 0000 steel wool and some Blue Wonder.

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I"ll try the steel wool and oil and go lightly.It's otherwise mint and has not been used much, Should be a great shooter. Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used RB-17 Bore Cleaner for years, with 4/0 Steel wool, with very good results on surface rust. RB-17 is also an effective lead remover. It's great stuff. "gunsmither"

Posts: 58 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote