THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester WSM barrels fouling horribly . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, I took my 2 new Winchesters out to the range today - a M70 Featherweight 300WSM and a M70 Classic Laminated 270WSM. Basically just breaking in the barrels. One shot, clean for around 10 shots each. HOLY CRAP, I think half of the jackets came off in these barrels. No joke, the worst I've ever seen. The 270 WSM put all shots inside 1" - no bad for shooting all "foulers" and 2 different bullet/load combinations. The 300WSM wasn't as great, but I'm not concerned yet (not bedded or floated yet).

Other than continuing this break-in procedure and waiting to see if the copper fouling slows down, any other suggestions? I hate to do anything to mess up the barrels, especially the way the 270WSM is shooting. I've never hand-lapped a barrel, but I might be tempted to try it if this amount of fouling continues.

By the way, I tried a few different things today: patches only - 1) with Hoppe's, then Barnes CR10 (this is my normal routine on my other rifles and works pretty good for me), 2) same as 1, but using JB's bore cleaning compund on a patch around a brush after 2 or 3 Barnes patches/dry patches - cleaned up quicker, but still alot of copper, 3) patches with Hoppe's, then Barnes CR10, the brush with Barnes CR10, then patches, then brush, then patches . . .

All methods took quite a bit to get all of the copper out - much more than any other rifle I own.

We Band of 45-70er's

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Until you know what you're working with, it's always a good idea to start slow. You might try working the bore over with some of this first and see what happens.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...itle=J-B+BORE+BRIGHT

Good luck!

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if its that bad, pour a plug, mic it and jack it off or get a GS with a good feel for jacking a rifle barrel off, some are better than others.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Try Tubbs' bore polishing system... I've used them and they really help reduce fouling...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=513887

Simple, cheap ($27), available in most calibers (except 358), always improved the fouling issue and often helped accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
if its that bad, pour a plug, mic it and jack it off or get a GS with a good feel for jacking a rifle barrel off, some are better than others.

Boy, malm and I got in trouble for that talking like that!!! Eeker beer

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clap

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello TXRam,
If you do not have a Hawkeye Bore Scope, borrow one, find one, etc. and take a look see at that bore(s) Probably will scare you a bit. I have seen them and it is not pretty.
If as rough as I imagine it is, might have to take some harsh measures to cure fouling/copper build up. Yes, Tubbs system or NECO will work but have also taken 4/0 steel wool, wrapped around bore mop, impregnated with fine valve grinding compound, and yes, scrub the crap out of it.
This process will take more than a few passes and when you think you have done it enough, again take a look at the bore with the borescope. Final step I have taken is to again use the bore mop, saturated with BonAmi hot soapy water, swab several times and rinse with hot water. (Messy I know, but it does work and used for years w/ shooters of yesteryear!! ) Also the normal polishing compound as JB and another good one is SimiChrome found at your local Harley shop for polishing those fancy engine cases. Very fine polish compound and works well. Mind you all of this effort is to take place from breech to muzzle, protect the actual muzzle diameter as much as possible.

Harsh, extreme, yes, but sounds like Winchester took harsh and extreme measures to make your barrels.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill/Rick,

Don't give me no crap over my shortcuts to the English language, lapping...........jacking off, pre med, pre law its all the same Smiler

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simple, cheap ($27), available in most calibers (except 358), always improved the fouling issue and often helped accuracy.

They do not list them but if you call Tubb's they do offer a 225 grain 358. I bought a kit for my Ruger M77 in 350 mag. I was warned that being a ruger the accuracy would suck. I lucked out as the rifle will shoot sub 1/2 inch. Fouling is not to bad but with this accuracy I don't want to fool with anything.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the idea these new short and fat cals came with chrome linined barrels, and that would make them smooth.
It's amazing the ideas I get.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
They do not list them but if you call Tubb's they do offer a 225 grain 358. I bought a kit for my Ruger M77 in 350 mag. I was warned that being a ruger the accuracy would suck. I lucked out as the rifle will shoot sub 1/2 inch. Fouling is not to bad but with this accuracy I don't want to fool with anything.

That's good to know, I'll give them a call. Funny they don't advertise it, perhaps it is a newer set...