New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel radius turning tool???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Doe snayone here have experience using a tool to turn a tight radius just in front of the cylinder of a barrel?

I made one as shown in Stratton's book and am trying to use it for the first time today. I would really love to talk to some one on the phone or get some tips here for the best way to use it.

I ran out of curse words a few mintues ago, so I figured I would come inside and solicit help from anyone. I pulled ou the "big guns" and said things that even I don't usually say. Well, that is not entirely true - "said" implies it was at a normal speaking voice. I uttered them loud enough for the neighbors to hear over the lathe and the radio!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of calling Mark Stratton? I would assume if he shows the tool in his book he would certainly know how to use it.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc, I have used Mark's at one of his classes. Will pm you.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc:

I've not used Mr. Stratton's design, but have used a commercial radius cutter. You might experiment with the grind of your cutter. What probably is happening is that, without the lead screws to hold it back, the bit is self feeding. A conventionally ground bit will tend to pull itself into the work, take too big of a bite, chatter, and cause the high decibel emission of bad words.

Try grinding the tool with a very slight rake angle (top), which will reduce the tendency to dive into the work, and with an equally small relief angle on the leading edge of the cutter, which will limit the depth of cut the tool can take if it does tend to dive in.

Best of luck,

Glenn Fewless

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote