THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Strength of Spanish Mauser actions??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Quote:

OK, I'll try and keep it simple. If it cocks on closing, it it either an M93 or M95, although I've seen a few M96 Swedes converted to .308.

Now, when you remove the bolt, look at the face of the bolt. If it is flat, it's an 1893. If it's round, it's an 1895.

The comments about the .308 CETME cartridge is right on. It was loaded to a lower pressure, but the cartridge has the same dimensions as the standard .308 Win./7.62 NATO rounds which are more powderful.

I did read somewhere, where the H.P.White laboratory said that the guns were safe with current factory .308 ammo, and maybe that's true, I can't say. I certainly would not shoot any of the surplus 7.62 NATO ammo in it though.

Those rifles in their original configuration are the reasons why current 7x57 ammo is so underloaded by the factories here in the U.S.

Paul B.

Thanks Paul,

Its probably a '95. It does cock on closing, for now. The bolt face has a recess for the case head, so the face itself is not flat perse, but there is a flat spot on the bottom of the bolt. ?? There is also a good sized gas vent on the left side of the reciever.

I agree that millsurp ammo would be a bad idea, that stuff is pretty peppy, I expect that I should be ok using the usual pressure signs. It will be strictly a handload proposition, as Im already set up for it and have a lifetime supply of brass.

I re-read the Ackley article on the strength of millsurp actions and Im guessing that these are what he refered to as the "Spandau Mausers". They had a fairly good review, better than the Mauser sporters with the dovetail cut.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spandau was a German arsenal (and a prison). It had no connection with "Spanish"
mausers. Spanish may mean rifles from the Spanish / American war, rifles made in Europe
for Spain, and rifles made in Spain. It is the latter that are made of soft metal.
They probably won't blow up, but the lugs will pound into recesses that prevent
operating the bolt. Finally these actions do not provide protection from a case head
failure. Gas will come down the left bolt racer way and into your face. The 03 springfield
(and the Win Mod 70) are copies of a 93 Mauser not a 98, and have the same safety issue.
Good luck1

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhunter. My bad. I was not clear enough in my description of the bolt. The flat I was talking about was on the bottom of the bolt,not the face, making it an 1893. My apologies.
Usually, on the receiver ring it will have the arsenal and year of manufacture. The one I had said Oviedo 1916.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you have a mod 93 and there is nothing good about that except they are light and do make decent low pressure sporters midway sells barrels and stock combos for it , last one I built was a 257 roberts with a 20 inch barrel , but keep in mind mod 98 recievers are real cheap right now and they are a better investment come resale time . Handloading could reduce pressure but who wants a gun that you can only half shoot .

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Usually, on the receiver ring it will have the arsenal and year of manufacture. The one I had said Oviedo 1916.
Paul B.

All I can make out is "C and what appears to be 187?". That wouldnt be "C" for carcano would it?

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the price is right they can make a decent gun. Some one gave me a 93 in 7x57 with a broken sporter stock. After I fixed it and recrowned the barrel it well shoot into a inch. With 139 horndays at 2450 it is plenty strong enough to kill all the deer ect that one would want out to 300 yards.

My I only have 45 dollars into the cost of a scout mount(not inclueing the scope)for a rifle that is capable of taking most NA game. No it is not the lightest nor the fastest or the fancyest of my rifles but I would not be afraid to take it hunting.

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote