Notify
Tools

Inspecting for lug setback
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I'm still trying to learn here, so don't tell me to take it to a 'smith... Wink

I finally got the barrel off my '08 Brazillian Mauser. Now I'm inspecting it for any obvious reason that it can't be rebarreled to a 22-250/220Swift/25-06/35Wheelen (haven't decided which yet). I'm primarily looking for signs of lug setback. Feeling the receiver face where the lugs seat turns up a nice smooth flat surface with no sign or feel of a ridge.

Am I correct in thinking that if I can't feel any catch/bump/roughness with a fingernail it is probably okay?

Am I correct in thinking that after my putting 250-300 rounds of factory 280 Rem through it I can quit worrying about the receiver hardness and move on!?!?

Any other checks you guys suggest before I start spending money on a new barrel?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
can you see any wear patterns down in there on the surface of the inner C ring (lug abutment).
I can see it on my 1908 Brazilian. Carefully run the end of a pin or paper clip over that wear pattern and see if there is a minutely small hump there where the wear pattern ends. If there is you have some lug setback.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Myself and one of the Mechanical Engineers here at my office checked it with a fine screwdriver. If there is a catch, it is very slight...more like a change in texture of the surfaces. The ring where the lug does not bear during firing still has some machining marks, the part under the lugs is smooth.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what are you goona do with that .280 barrel? who made it?

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I have no idea who made it. It is a military style step contour, with 2 proof marks and the .280REM stampings. One proof mark looks like a miniature christmas tree (or pyrimid shaped drilling derrick) with a star at the point, the other is an oval with 3 letters in it and a crown on top. The bluing is good, and as the receiver is unblued it has obviously been worked over beyond a simple rechambering. Military? A&B? I've no clue. The bore is not pitted, just has spiral gouges like a rough tool was used to form the rifling.

I'm going to inspect it closely to insure that I didn't bend it getting it off (it took a 3' cheater bar), cut the now chewed up end off (down to 22"), re-crown, reinstall, and shoot up my last 2.5 boxes of ammo. If it still doesn't shoot, its junk to me...trade bait, trotline weight, garage wall decoration, etc.