Find
Notify
Tools

Uncle Mike's Recoil Pad
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
As I look over the total of this rifle I'd like to build, I have found that I managed to raise the price to over what I would like. Now, I'm trying to see what I don't actually "need". I was planning on replacing the Uncle Mike's decelrator-type recoil pad included in Serengeti's Ghostkit for an actual decelerator, but now I'm wondering if it's okay to keep the pad provided. Normally I wouldn't pay attention to this, but the recoil on the 375 has me thinking. Would you guy's replace it, or just go as is? Anyone used this brand of recoil pad? Also How many crossbolts are required for a 375 if it is to be glass bedded? Thanks for your input.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There many opinions, but if the gun where headed for my cabinet, the Uncle Mikes would go. No sweat up to maybe 270win, but after that the Uncle Mikes is a bit hard. Mel Smart, my precessor, laid in a bunch of them. So we use them on light rifles and include them with the Ghost.

On the rest, again if the rifle were destined to be mine, a barrel mounted recoil lug, marine-tex bedding on both lugs, dual crossbolts. Make it like a tank.

Opinions vary and some folks disagree. We have a .458 Lott in progress where the client nixed the barrel lug. We'll marine-tex the rear tang too, put in the cross-bolts and hope for the best. Dennis Olson gave us good tip. On big bangers, he takes a 3/8th thick piece of steel flat stock, cut the same width as the recoil lug, sticks it down in the recoil lug area and then beats the wood into submission...before bedding. Pre-compression, so to speak. Makes sense to me.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Rod, I sent you a PM. Thanks.
Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote