Find
Notify
Tools

Which synthetic stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
I've owned, and or handled the Borden/Rimrock and HS Precision. I'm also considering the McMillan. Opinions and comments about the 3 would be appreciated. One of them will be going on a Model 70 I'm putting together.

Thanks,
Joel Babcock

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have stocks made by all three. I generally prefer the fit and feel of the Rimrock stock and have used it more than any other. However, when I put together my custom Model 70 I chose the H-S Precision and have been extremely satisfied. The stock was a perfect drop-in fit. If I were restocking a Remington or a Sako, I would go with a McMillan. I would pick the one that fits you best as all three are great stocks.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the feel of the HS finish. I like the stability of the mcmillan, and the light weight of the borden.

Toss up if it is a carry rifle.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillan, IMHO, is the Standard and the Benchmark for all synthetic stocks. The only problem with them is the wait if it isn’t something they have on the shelf at the time you order.

I own four McMillan stocks and have compared them to the others mentioned...and there is no comparison in my mind.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I am leaning towards McMillan. Just want some comments about the others. I was real happy with my HS Precision, it was on a Weatherby I owned. My brother had a Rimrock that I picked up for him when they were made here in Washington. It was nice as well. He now has a McMillan.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Clifton, McMillan, Brown Precision, Rimrock and have examined HS and High Tech synthetic stocks. I like things about all of them and dislike some other things.

Overall, I prefer the Rimrock, it is light, high quality and very well priced. I will buy them ahead of anything else for the rifles I intend to put synthetics on as I think that they either equal or exceed anything else on the market.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Kutenay,

What do you think about their Fiberglass pillars? Do the trick? They must or you wouldn't use them. If I was to use the McMillan, I would get it pillar bedded.

If I use the Borden, I'll send the rifle to them and have them inlet, and bed it properly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned the mcmillan and h-s precision.Of the two,I much prefer mcmillan.In fact many gunsmiths now recommend that all stocks using the aluminum bedding blocks( as h-s precision does)be glass bedded.I have not used rimrock so I can't give an opinion on them.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I prefer McMillan, especially Echols' version, and you can get a blank straight from him.

I like the Rimrock very much, but the grip is really too small for my hand. That's my only criticism.......

AD

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I had a Bell and Carlson Medalist with the aluminum pillar bedding in a tan and spiderweb pattern on a VZ24 with PacNor barrel in .416 Taylor. Liked it a lot, but I didn't use the rifle much before swapping it off. I may use that stock again.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16630 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had any trouble with the pillars and recently put one on my .375, however, it is bedded with Devcon which is, IMO, a sound idea with any stock for a rifle withh serious recoil. Borden has an excellent reputation and I am pleased with the stocks, especially because I wanted retro-fit stocks at the lowest possible price due to having so many rifles.

I am inclined to think, based on the three Mickys I have had, that they are probably the best overall stocks, but, they can be a touch heavy for some things and are pricey. The finest option, if you can/want to spend the money, is the Echol's stock and I think that I will order one next winter for my favourite rifle, I simply can't afford to equip more than twenty bolt rifles with them.

I concur on glassbedding the HS type bedding blocks, I have no doubt that these are good stocks, but, I have never owned one.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, buying a stock with an aluminum bedding block that you then have to bed your action to, is just a bit redundant.

There is no way to mass produce a bedding block that will fit every action like a true bedding job will.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
I recently replaced the stock on my Ruger with a Hogue. So far I'm very happy with it. I liked the "warm" feel of the rubber.

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic insomniac? He stayed up all night wondering if there's a dog.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I realy like the mpi stocks for price and function they are great

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote