New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dirty barrel problem
 Login/Join

<Norwester67>
posted
I am shooting a Rem 700 Bdl in.22 cal. 20 g. of H322 with a 50g hornady spsx bullet. Regular/light barrel. After 20-25 shots I have to stop and clean the barrel because the accuracy drops off. The barrel is dirty with powder residue. Here are the ideas which have been dropped my way : H322 is a dirty powder and that's life 2) the barrel is rough 3) not all the powder is being burned so I should use a SR magnum primer (currently using CIL sr Primers) This particular load while not very fast is VERY accurate. Should I be worried about the dirty barrel and if so what direction should I take to get rid of this problem? Thanks

<Norwester67>
posted
Posted twice by accident please delete this one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What cartridge is it? If it's a .223 Rem then the load is below the min suggested and there may not be enough pressure to burn the powder well.

For a light load try a faster burning powder if that's what you want for velocity. Both IMR 4198 and IMR 4759 will do this. www.imrpowder.com/rifle/223r_1_data.html

There are some Alliant powders that may work well also.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Would a tighter crimp create a more sealed case and therefore more complete burn?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Dennis a tighter crimp often gives a lighter bullet pull. The crimp causes the neck to bulge and weaken its grip if over done. I personally don`t crimp any of my ammo and haven`t ever had a problem that could be traced to the lack of it.

If the powder charge is in the proper range, primers are right for the task, and the expander leaves the necks at proper ID the ignition should be good. If the charge is too light incomplete burn could occure, and there have been reports of low charges relating to detonation in some instances. I would stay in the guild lines listed in a manual just to be safe. If indeed the load being used is under wgt I "think" raising it to the recommended charge should help.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Norwester67>
posted
Oops, Typo, It's a .222 Rem