New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a part for a Savage 99
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
small "slider" used to remove the forend on a takedown model.

this one in 30-30, straight grip, made in the 20's, I think.

forend has a little plate, perhaps 3/8's wide by 1-1/2 held in place by two screws, the slider fits in a slot in this piece. the fitting is located about where a front sling swivel would go.

any ideas where I might start to look for one?

thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That particular part has become hard to find, and a bit salty in price too. I finally gave up on it and am milling one for my current project. Try posting your query on the Savage Collectors forum on the 24Hr. Campfire. There was a guy there offering one for sale recently. The price was somewhere north of $100.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you can't find one I can send you the measurments to make it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks; I'll try the collectors forum as suggested- the rifle isn't mine, a high price for the part isn't a problem as the rifle's owner has done me many good turns over the years and something north of a hundred bucks is small change for the goodwill that is intended.

And, I'd appreciate the measurements also, Jim, if you care to post them here or in a PM.

Thank you both again.

FWIW, this is a slick rifle- points naturally, isn't overly heavy... I wish my appreciation of these was wider when I was younger; I passed up several along the way, and I wish now I hadn't.

I don't think the pistol grip models would be as handy and fast, for some reason.

This one has seen use, it's tight, the barrel is nice and sharp/shiny. Even gray patina on the receiver, the lever shows some CCH on the portion that is hidden in the stock.

Some nice person polished the butt plate, and the small band of steel at the front of the receiver particular to takedowns.

Not a bad trigger pull.

I'm going to try it at 75 yards today some time.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote