New
Find
Notify
Tools

rust bluing water
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
wonder if anyone has used the water from a dehumidifier as opposed to commercial distilled water, pouring out about 4 gallon a day thought I could use of it.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NOOO: your dehumidifier water has aluminum in it from the cooling fins. Use distilled water.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
NOOO: your dehumidifier water has aluminum in it from the cooling fins. Use distilled water.

That makes sense, but others here have posted that the use AC condenser run-off for rust bluing...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How come there is alluminium in the water?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The water forms on your cooling fins and runs off, carrying some al with it. My dehumidifier box is stained green so it must be copper. I know, others have done it, and I have used tap water too, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd never boil parts in water at all. Try steaming the parts using tap water. Steam is pure and will not adversely affect the blue job. Small parts can be steamed inside a covered pot and long parts like barrels/barreled actions, can be steamed inside a cellular core pvc pipe placed over a pot of boiling water and covered.

Bob Veasey
www.rustblue.com

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well thanks for the replies , so humid here you can wring water from your shirt just going to mailbox, yeah i know you shouldn't use that water!

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ray:
well thanks for the replies , so humid here you can wring water from your shirt just going to mailbox, yeah i know you shouldn't use that water!

Well, at least you won't need a damp box.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I'd never boil parts in water at all. Try steaming the parts using tap water.

Bob Veasey
www.rustblue.com

+1

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those that uses AC condensate and have for probably 25 or 30 yrs.
I'm collecting another seasons worth as I type this. Cleaned out milk jugs work well.
A 35gal (new) plastic trash can on a roll around dolly takes on another bulk load for storage.

I've never had a problem with it. Two different Central A/C units in use over that time.
I've done hundreds of bbls and other parts. Some damascus finishing too.
Both cold rust and quick rust using several different solutions over the years.

The water has never been a problem.