New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6.5 Grendel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was going to measure a round against my CZ .223 magazine but none left loaded right now. For sure it will not fit in a standard .223 magazine. The bullet sticks out way too much. My load notes have it in the 2.40-2.50 inch range for 120 gr. depending on brand. I like to seat the bullet to the base of the neck so mine run long. For use in an AR magazine, there is the Whisper line and that is from the .221 case so the long lead can fit. The TCU works great in a single shot where COL is much less of an issue. Yes, it is a dandy deer cartridge, especially with the 120 grain pills.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys.

Does anyone know what the 6.5 Grendel cartridge is based upon?

I am guessing that it would be the 6.8 Rem SPC and that is based on the .30 rem.

What I am thinking of is to get another CZ 527 and having it rebarrled for the 6.5 Grendel. I really like the little CZ rifle and want an oddball cartridge and I really like the .264 diameter bullets.

Would I have to have the bolt face opened up in order to utilize this cartridge?

Has anyone just necked up the .223 to .264?

Thanks

Jim B

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim B,
The 6.5 Grendel was developed by Alexander Arms. It is based on the 6mm PPC with the shoulder moved forward slightly.
The good news is that Lapua brass is available with the correct head stamp, etc. A CZ in 7.62x39 would make a great Grendel platform.
The bad news is that Alexander Arms is keeping it as a proprietary design. Pacific Precision (Dave Kiff) did the reamers, but they aren't authorized to release reamers to anyone else. The only gunsmith authorized to rebarrel your rifle is Scott Medesha. I don't know how long it would take to get a rifle rebarreled, or how much it would cost.
I am bummed because I have a Sako in 6PPC that would make a great little Grendel.
Alexander Arms also sells AR-15 uppers in 6.5 Grendel. They use Lothar Walther barrels.
Good Luck
JCN
PS If you score a reamer some how I will rent it from you to help defray the cost .

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

<snip>
Has anyone just necked up the .223 to .264?

Thanks

Jim B

Yep! 6.5TCU is one. I have one in a Contender barrel and it is very pleasant shooting round. Not quite the performance available with the 6.8 but it's no slouch. I don't know how well it will fit in the CZ magazine though.

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Courtney,

Thanks for the reply. What is your AOL on the cartridge?

If it can be done with 100 or 120 grain bullet at the same AOL as the .223 then it would be a dandy little deer rifle.

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It's too bad the Grendel is only available from one gunsmith, BUT...

You'll never find a better gunsmith or nicer fella to work with than Scott Medesha. He also makes his own barrels, which are only available on guns he fits them to, including some absolutely super 3-groove tubes.

If I was forced to do business with one particular gunsmith, and it turned out to be Scott Medesha, I'm not sure I'd have any complaints despite my very pronounced independent streak....

The first piece of work he ever did for me (1983) was perfect then, and still is.

MHO

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the endorsement. Guess I'll send my action down for him to work on.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote