Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 30/30 bolt action.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of South40
posted
Tried a Savage 340 magazine in my Yugo 24/47. Just holding the magazine by hand, the rifle would feed the top cartridge. It looks like the you'll have to mill a rectangular slot in your floor plate, and find a way of attaching the 340 magazine. Bottom line -- it looks like it will work. S40

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been toing and froing about what to do with this mauser 96 action for a little while now and whilst playing about in the gunroom I discovered that a 30/30 rim is a tight fit in the boltface. It would need a little relieving , but only a few thou to get it to feed easily.
Has anybody done this before and who thinks its worth it?
I've always wanted a 30/30, but in a bolt action. The pressure loading of the standard 30/30 shouldn't be a problem for the 96 to handle.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just might be easier to go a find a savage 340 they are a neat little bolt 30-30.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably in America it is. Things are very different in Australia.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The problem will involve the rims & the feed rails.
You can load the magazine with the rims forward of the case below. How the feed rails will work has to be determined. For somthing easier how about a 35 remington?.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm really after a lower pressure round that will work and is cheap to shoot.Here in Aus, 30/30 fits the bill. I could go for a 6.5, but I'm thinking about something a little different. A 30 cal would be good as I could use a 2nd hand or ex military barrel to keep costs down.
The main problem for me is that this action keeps beckonning me to do something with it!

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have similar plans. I met a gent once who built one on a 98/22 action. Like others have said the real trick is to get it to feed. You'll need a properly constructed magazine. One that staggers the cartridges so that the rim of the one on top is ahead of the one below it.

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote