Find
Notify
Tools

Changing Calibers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I have a 7mm Rem Mag that I'd like to have re-barreled. I'd like to have a .30 cal. rifle beacause of bullet selection and I have a decent selection of .30 cal. bullets. What are my options using a Ruger M77 action factory chambered for 7mm?

Thanks

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If there is nothing wrong with the 7mm RM barrel then sell the rifle and buy another.

There are plenty of 7mm bullets.

Tell us more.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Savage,

I would love to have a really accurate hunting rifle. This rifle is fine as far as factory rifles go. I thought of having it rebarreled and the action trued. Then, I'd get a McMillan stock for the smith to set it in. I have spoken with a couple of smiths via the internet concerning a custom rifle...I may be better off in the long run to have one built. Therefore, the question. Just trying to get all the info and weigh my options.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than the thirty, no other calibre is blessed with a plethora of bullets like the 7m/m. With that said, I'd be looking at Remington's Sendero in 300 Winchester magnum if one wants a long range hitter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Born to Hunt,

Folks seem to always want to redirect you. In the .30 caliber, the natural given the bolt face, is a .300 Winchester magnum.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Customstox! That is exactly what I wanted to know. I didn't even know if it was possible. With the 300 Winnie, what about magazine length? WIll I be able to load to the lands? I've given some consideration to a short mag cartridge, but I'm not sure if the bolt from my 7mm Rem Mag would work for that caliber.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The 300 Win mag and the 7 mm Rem mag are identical in bolt face, cartridge length, magazine box, feed rail dimensions, etc. It's probably the easiest conversion that you could do.

You could also convert it to 264 Win mag or 338 Win Mag also as they all share the same case dimensions with the exception of bore size.

Converting to a short mag would require feed rail work, magazine work, etc.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If your after accuracy you may just play with the one you have. I really like the old tang safety M77 and have had good luck ( or so I've been told it's luck) getting them to shoot.

I agree with Fjold. If you just want to re-barrel one then the .300 Win Mag is an easy swap. If I were in your shoes I'd go with a .264 WM as I don't have one, and think it'd become a new fav for Idaho mulies. The only real negative in my eyes is the poor selection of stocks. If you just rebarrel it's no big deal, if you want more of a custom it's something to concider. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Richard's Microfit will inlet their stocks for the old tang safety M77. One of the few that I know of.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!