Find
Notify
Tools

SAKO magazine follower
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello:
My Sako 7mm Rem. has a plastic magazine follower, which doesn't impress me. Is it possible to replace it with a 98 Mauser or other metal follower? Thanks guys.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a .338 Sako with a plastic follower. It was the only one I had ever seen, but it worked perfectly and didn't "clink" when unloading the magazine.

If you simply must replace it, get a genuine Sako follower. Sako is one of the few magazines that takes 4 belted rounds, so I think that using the genuine artical is pretty important. Try Jim Lutes who specializes in Sako parts (don't have an address or email, but he advertises in the gun classified papers) or Accuflite in Pennsylvania.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stonecreek;
Thanks for your help. The darn thing works fine, but I worry about the plastic failing in our cold temperatures. Will try your sources.
Griz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell Grizz, we're having a balmy winter, haven't you noticed? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dan;
Yeah, it is a mite balmy, even in Edmonton, but we're hoping for a change. My old mom is getting kind of weak and the family thinks it may be time to leave her out in the cold. It's kinder when its minus 30.
Griz

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although I prefer the metal followers in my Sakos, I have a few of the plastic ones. Nothing to worry about - they will serve you will. If you just have to have a metal follower, Jim Lutes will have one. His number is: 316-799-2509

[ 12-05-2002, 19:09: Message edited by: DOCTOR LOU ]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what is a follower,but I once owned a steyr with plasic magazines,and a plastic trigger guard.I was having all kinds of trouble with both,and thought this was normal until I tried metal magazines and trigger guards.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzly Adams, l have a spare one for sale if you can't find one. I had a plastic one on a 270 and replaced it with the metal one. When l traded the rifle l left the original follower on it and ended up with a spare part.

I am away for a couple days but will check this board on Monday to see whether you are interested and if so l will contact you via email.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote