THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Making, annealing and tempering springs, need help.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making, annealing and tempering springs, need help.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
I recently aquired a Mauser Pocket Pistol that needed some work. There is a spring that is made out of flat stock that puts tension on the safety and firing pin catch. The spring was gone when I got the pistol. I ordered and received one from Gun Parts. I put it in CORRECTLY and pushed the safety on and the spring broke instantly.

I called my buddy gunsmith and he said he has some round stock from coil springs used in magazines.

My questions: Do I anneal the round stock and shape the spring and then temper? Anneal by heating and letting air cool? Temper by heating and quenching?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Brownells catalog, or if you can find it on their web site, they have instructions for making flat springs. They also sell flat spring stock in various widths and thicknesses.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I have a Brownells, knew about the flat stock they have, did not know about the instructions for making though. I will research the catalog tonight and check their site.

Going to Brownells was my "plan C". I am trying to get the pistol repaired by the weekend if possible.

Thanks again.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Go to page 153 in the catalog. There is a box in the top/middle of the page with the title “How to make a flat or “V†spring.â€

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If those leads don't pan out, you can use the flat magazine springs found in bolt action rifles. The 3 finger sear springs used in 1911's. I've used old band saw blades to make springs when I've had to, and if you can find it, some of the old metal strapping or banding material used in shipping to hold packages together. That stuff was/is made of spring steel and is an excellent material for certain flat springs. All of this type of material is considered pre-formed and will need to be carefully annealed so as not to burn the steel, then cut and shaped, neutralized, and then hardened and tempered. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
I've used old band saw blades to make springs when I've had to, and if you can find it, some of the old metal strapping or banding material used in shipping to hold packages together.

BINGO!! I have several old band saw blades.

Thanks Malm.

Rick,

I also found instructions on Brownell's web site for making springs, along with a lot of other information. Thanks.

Jim