Find
Notify
Tools

Problem(s) of S&W M16 in .32 H&R Mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Has anyone out there any first-hand knowledge of problems with the M16 S&W chambered for the .32 H&R Mag?

I have an earlier M16 in .32 S&W Long and have never had problem #1 with it yet....but I've only been shooting it since about 1959....so maybe it's because it is still relatively new Wink

I also have one of the 1980s run of the M16 in .32 H&R Mags (mine is a 4"). It is still new in the box (and the box is still in the factory shipping carton). So far the cylinder hasn't even been turned nor the hammer cocked, let alone the gun fired.

I have been thinking of shooting it, but won't bother if someone has specific personal knowledge of problems with that round in that gun which suggest I shouldn't.

Anything you guys can share in that respect?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have no particular knowledge of any problems wit that round in the S&W. I have been shooting the .32 H&R mag since it was introduced. Never had an issue except for two batches of bad Federal ammo.

I bought one of the first single sixes offered in that round. Then when S&W introduced their offering I thought real hard about it but passed due to the gun's weight. Too heavy for the round it was chambered in was my feeling. Had the S&W had the lighter tapered barrel instead of the L frame wannabe I would have bought one.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never had a bit of a problem with mine. however i have had a bit of a problem with one box of ammo. brass was to hard & it split. fun gun, low noise low recoil accurate. an almost perfect out the window cratblaster

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only probem I had was with Federal brass where the rim diameter was large making it difficult to empty my Singles Six's. I shoot Starline now with no problems. Agree on the weight of the M16, I wish I would have grabbed one of the little J frame Smith's when they came out.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd check collector value first. Anything NIB untouched is worth something. Maybe sell the Mag and get something you want.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
I'd check collector value first. Anything NIB untouched is worth something. Maybe sell the Mag and get something you want.

KC - the Model 16 .32 H&R IS something I want. I just figured that if there really were problems with it as was claimed today on another thread here, I'd sell it to some collector. Otherwise, I'm gonna start shooting it.

I haven't shot it up to now just because it was sort of a "money in the bank" kind of thing. Figured if I ever really needed a few hundred dollars, I could always sell it easily considering its condition, short run of manufacture, etc.

I've also got two still NIB Ruger single actions in .357 "Maximum"...again, unfired, in the box, and in the original shipping cartons...one a 7-1/2", the other a 10". Have a third one which I shoot and enjoy. Have a new in the wooden case Smith Model 27 too, together with a Sterling Silver Smith belt buckle and a S&W pen and pencil set. That set also has the original factory shipping case.

I'm lucky those all came in small boxes/cases....with a lot of my rifles I still had all the original boxes and shipping cases until we moved here last year. Turns out that without asking me, my dear wife did me a favor and went into the area where I had all the cases on the day the movers showed up to get our stuff. She took all the rifle boxes and shipping cases and put them in the back of her truck under the taoneau cover, then took them to the dump and threw them away!!! Even had to make two trips....

Figured she was saving me some shipping costs, she said after I found out. Some of the boxes she chucked even still had the original Sako rings for their rifles inside....!!

Well, it was illegal to take HER to the dump, and besides I hate cooking my own meals, so life goes on........

But now that I'm working my way through my late 70's, Heck!!!...I don't even buy green bananas anymore. Why wait any longer? It's getting to be time to play with all of them.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I have no particular knowledge of any problems wit that round in the S&W. I have been shooting the .32 H&R mag since it was introduced. Never had an issue except for two batches of bad Federal ammo.

I bought one of the first single sixes offered in that round. Then when S&W introduced their offering I thought real hard about it but passed due to the gun's weight. Too heavy for the round it was chambered in was my feeling. Had the S&W had the lighter tapered barrel instead of the L frame wannabe I would have bought one.

Yes, I had one of those too...mine was the RCA (Ruger Collector's Association) deluxe version with light engraving and factory Stag grips. It was a very nice little gun.

I eventually got tired of it (I have very large hands...way too big for comfort with a single-six), and traded it straight across for a Browning BLR in .358 Winchester. Replaced it in my handgun confabulation with an original Colt Shooting Master in .32 S&W Long.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Well like you said what are you waiting for?? Go put some lead down range. It's not like you need to go very far to do it. Right out your back door maybe depending on where exactly your neighbors are. Big Grin

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote