New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to end up with a 10 lb. rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, my buddy has talked me out of a 460 G&A in favor of a 458 Lott.

I'd like to end up with a 10 to 10.5 lb. rifle that looks a whole lot like my Winchester 375 H&H. The Winchester is easy to shoot with open sights, and the recoil is very tolerable. I may end up even buying a Winchester stock.

Assuming I've got the action (blued M1999 LH) and stock (possibly Win.) picked out, how do I choose a barrel that gives me a final weight of 10 lb?

The rifle will not have a scope.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just buy the Ruger [Wink]

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went thru this on my 416 rigby. My cz550 action weighs 3.1 oz. I estimate the stock at 2.5lbs (english walnut) and the barrel is a hunter taper.
Estimate for barrel weight vs muzzle diameter for 458 and 24 in barrel:
code:
muzzle dia.   barrel weight
.658 3.94lbs
.738 4.28lbs
.818 4.64lbs
.858 4.82lbs

26" barrel adds about 0.3lbs.

my rifle with 24" barrel, .746 muzzle dia. and quarter rib currently weighs about 10lbs with 4.5lb barrel. Without recoil pad, balance is a little forward, and the pad will add another net 4oz. and balance the rifle, for a total weight of 10.5lbs. 4 cartridges weight about 1/2 lbs,so field weight is 11 lbs, iron sights, no sling. This is a little heavy but for my case, it matches to a companion 505 gibbs which is then a little under weight.

hope this helps.

steve

Posts: 359 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Urodoji:
Just buy the Ruger [Wink]

Thanks. The Ruger's bolt handle is on the wrong side. I am building a left-handed rifle.

H. C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry, you can add weight to the stock. In fact one good way to do it is with a mercury recoil reducer. It delays the impact of the recoil.

[ 05-27-2003, 01:08: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cut out slots inside the forend and butt, fill them with leadshots and fill/seal the cavity with bedding compound. This allows you to adjust balance so the rifle will no be all forward heavy. Octagonal barrels too allow extra weight due to the extra angles.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Laminated stocks will add weight to the gun over one piece, if you like their looks. Also, use one of the laminates that leave a lot of figure on the outside with the other laminates inside and you will have both a strong and good looking stock.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you go with a truck axle barrel, ie .825" dia at the muzzle, you should be spot on. I like the way the thick barrels look, and you can use Ruger #1 458 barrel band sling swivel and front sight base as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
many of the barrel cutters list an approximate weight for the finished length of the barrel. check their websites. the big, uncontoured blanks are around 8 pounds in 27" length. the thin sporter barrels are around 4 pounds for that length.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Henry, you can add weight to the stock. In fact one good way to do it is with a mercury recoil reducer. It delays the impact of the recoil.

It would be one hell of a good deal if I could shoot, hand the rifle to someone else, and watch them get kicked.

[Big Grin]

H. C.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Henry, Love your sense of humor! [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:

It would be one hell of a good deal if I could shoot, hand the rifle to someone else, and watch them get kicked.

[Big Grin]

H. C.

Try hollowing out a bit of the stock and adding some workers compensation claim forms. Or if that will slow it down too much, another trick is some lead shot in a gob of putty.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went a different route. With a heavy weight contour, the rifle felt unbearably muzzle heavy. I couldn't add enough mercury (11oz) to make a real difference. I'm using a MRC #5 contour that is about .710 at the muzzle, but in .458 Lott, that diameter is mostly air.

Purpleheart to the rescue. This South American exotic is much heavier than walnut, denser too, and somewhat better in impact resistance. A one inch plank will reliably stop a .22LR. Walnut won't.

Our laminated walnut blank weighs about 8 pounds and produces a 34 to 36oz stock. The same size purpleheart blank weighs 14 pounds. Extrapolating the result (not cut yet) equates to a 62 oz stock. 26 ounce gain. 8.25 rifle becomes 10lb. Best of all the added mass is centered throughout the rifle. Should handle great.

Watch for pictures here.

[ 05-29-2003, 12:03: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote