New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pana-vise
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have any experience with the Pana-Vise from Brownells? seems to be a good price, but wonder how sturdy it is and how stable. feedback?

better options for a vise that rotates AND tilts?

Thanks guys.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have several of them where I work. They're great for things like soldering or other light work. They're not heavy duty at all, at least not the ones we have.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might check out the Wilton PowRarm. It is essentially a swivel base for a "normal" vise.

It allows you to swivel and tilt the vise.

I think this is the same set up that Jack Belk uses for his metal work.

Joe.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I agree with Big R, they are not for heavy duty use, but rather handy for smaller precision work.
I lucked out and bought mine for 100.00, I also have a larger vise for the heavy stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red, not to be a kill joy *but* those panna vises arent worth beans. They are not stiff or sturdy, have plastic parts in some areas and on some models. If you goto a lows or Home depot you will probably see one, as they have been known to carry them. Wilton has a couple of new small bench vises, or run up and down a the flee markets or old shops and try to find the old wilton 3" "bullet vises" they are tops for small work. wilton still sells the powerarm attachment but they will set you back 119$ for the junior positioner M343 (MSC catalog)
I have one of those "multipurpose" vises you can buy at harbor freight, (though I bought mine at a flee market) I put an adj angled drill press vise in mine, beat it down real tight and work on some parts there.

Id like to add that, unless Brownells is the sole carrier of a product, they almost always have a high price on the item. Example... their new gunsmith vise sold for 220$... now take a hard look at a shop fox vise sold at many woodworking/metalworking supply houses for 47$... see a difference? I didnt think so.
HSS steel graver blanks at Brownells $21.70 EACH, I get mine new at 49 cents! to 1.20$ depending on the brand. Pretty sad stuff.

[ 11-19-2003, 12:33: Message edited by: smallfry ]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
got a Panavise as a company gift/reward years ago with the optional extended jaws. Just never thought it sturdy enough for anything other than the simplest.....light duty applications. If you think you just have to have one let me know....I got the whole enchilada, extended jaws, suction base, screw mounted base, standard jaws..........sweet deal.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote