New
Find
Notify
Tools

LocTite Solvent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to remove old, dried-up LocTite from some scope mounting screws. I've tried acetone and rubbing alcohol, with no luck. Any ideas what will cut/desolve the dried-up LocTite? Thanks is advance, Bill.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
heat them up with a torch or soldering iron and it will let go right now.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The best LocTite solvent is propane and a lighter. Big Grin

However, running the screw in and out of a threaded hole will help. Or soak them in Acetone.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, but I didn't ask the question clearly. I've got the screws out; I'm trying to clean them off, and the threaded screw holes out, before I apply new LocTite to reinstall them. Sorry for the confusion. Bill.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I chase the screw holes with a tap. But you can run the screws in and out of the holes to remove what you can. Hit the screws with some acetone and use a "Q" tip and acetone to swab the hole. After that the new LocTite will work just fine. If you need it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loctite melts at 400 F°

Pipe cleaners also are good for cleaning out the holes.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually Loctite doesn't "melt" is decomposes at 400F

Though some of the high strength bearing retaining compunds will hold on to 450-475.

I'll second (or fourth or fifth) the recommendation for a propane torch.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Though some of the high strength bearing retaining compunds will hold on to 450-475.
Sounds about right! I just removed my LocTited on muzzle break. I thought the stuff was supposed to decompose at lower temps. I'll be machining off the next one!

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While you bicker over the word melt

Loctite makes a solvent for removal of the residue. It is composed mostly of nitromethane.

Hoppes #9 used to contain nitromethane. I don;t know if it still does but it cleans my Loctite coated screws.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
While you bicker over the word melt

Loctite makes a solvent for removal of the residue. It is composed mostly of nitromethane.

Hoppes #9 used to contain nitromethane. I don;t know if it still does but it cleans my Loctite coated screws.

You won't want to be using a propane torch around Nitro-methane, that barreled action will set a new quarter mile world record! Big Grin

Hoppe's #9 use to contain Benzine. Of course that was back when the stuff smelled good!

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Torch and then a dental pick.. My best friends dad is a retired dentist and those things are good for lots of stuff!! Also, after the heat is applied blast with brake cleaner ---that gets most of it..

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Later formulations of Hoppes contained Trichloroethane (commonly called "TCE" or "Trike") but that too is gone from the formulation.

Acetone is a "silver bullet" for cyanoacrylate ("super glue"), but loctite isn't cyanoacrylate.

and nobody here is "bickering" and if you use that word again don't do so before posting a definition to PROVE you've read the definition.

I was "quibbling" which is NOT the same thingSmiler

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
and nobody here is "bickering" and if you use that word again don't do so before posting a definition to PROVE you've read the definition.

I was "quibbling" which is NOT the same thing

Damn, now that's funny! animal Thanks Allan!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote