New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocks for Montana Actions ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the latest on sources for wood and composite stocks for MRC actions?

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MRC had said that the profile of their action was pretty close to that of the M70. It stands to reason that any stock for the M70 could be modified to fit the MRC action.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accrabond Laminates are making drop-ins. Dennis Olsen in Plains, MT has a pattern and Don Allen duplicator and does fantastic work. A huge selection of blanks also. I have made M70 stocks work with minor inletting.
Jay

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a LH stock from Richardson's and have already received it some time ago....other's experience has varied, they are still waiting.

I just called them and told them what I was putting in it and they were familiar with the MRC action. I received the Imperial Laminate, Rose wood tip and cap in Modern Classic.

As for their work.....it is about what I expected for a 95% stock.....the last 5% is most of the work anyway.

What I didn't like was that I ordered a Pachmyer pad, installed. That was a waste of money!!!! It was installed then ground to match the stock profile and at such an extreme taper that it was over 1/4" narrower at the heal than where it mated with the stock,useless!! I took it off and tossed it. The wood was ground at a taper too of over 1/8" but cleaned up well after reinstalling a Kick-ezz 1.4" and following the stock profile on out to have clean lines.

The wood has cleaned up well with course sand paper of any machine marks, and when I get the bareled action I will see if it really fits! The only other concern is that the rough cut barrel channel is NOT straight nor centered. But thin enough that I don't think there will be trouble because it will have to be opened up for the barrel anyway...hopefuly the wide side won't be beyond the barrel. If that isn't a problem, I would order from them again, but never with a pad installed!

Posts: 40 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Snowcat

What is the best way to contact Dennis? I have a MRC action and a blank. Just waiting for the $$ for the barrel. What does his pattern for the MRC look like. I assume a safe quess is a classic style. Thanks. Rob

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson
500 First Street
Plains, MT 59859
406-826-3790

Dennis is one of our suppliers for semi-inletted, inletted stocks. His work is truly magnificent.

Rod

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod-

Is Dennis using Acra-Bond's external stock designs or is he using his own?

When you are say that Dennis is one of your suppliers, are you saying that Acra-Bond is supplying him with blanks and he is doing the inletting work and getting those back to Acra-bond or how does that work?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There's usually several Winchester M-70 take-off stocks for sale on eBay at any given time. One could probably adapt one of these. I may try that when my short action arrives, hopefully not too much longer.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,
I believe they fit the post 64 models or the latest models but not the pre 64s...can you be specific on which...

I just stuck and old pre 64 M-70 stright taper barrel in my Montana action and cut the barrel off at 20 inches, iron sights are on the agenda and perhaps a laminate English pattern or Oberdorf stock is destined for it....Perhaps one of my new bolt peeps if it will fit the cocking piece...It will look like mutt and jeff in my 26" gun cabinet... [Embarrassed]

Maybe a short 4 inch H&H quarter rib or one of those neat screw gizzie pre war m-70 shallow Vs the Jim Wisner makes if he has anymore of them. along with a NECG adjustable front sight..its too fat for a barrel band unless I use a real barrel....but its front heavy and should hold like a rock offhand, if I can hold the butt on myh shoulder with my ear [Wink]

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because our CNC house is not yet up to speed, we had Dennis make some of the patterns not yet programmed. Like Cheetah for example, and soon the Sako-Montana, which is a Sako Hunter style geometry for the M1999.

We ship him down a blank and he rough shapes it and fully inlets it. We finish the shaping work and then get on with finishing the stock. Like most metal men, Dennis does not particularly care for wood finishing. We're pretty good at it.

Dennis has his own pattern(s) for the M1999 also. I believe he incorporates Williams bottom metal in some of them.

At the present, we are flat out finish shaping and checkering. Also, there is no space in our current location for a stock duplicator or a 3D carver. We would need a much larger facility to bring that in-house. And more people of course.

Selling blanks to gunsmiths is part of our business model. We have dealer pricing on the blank (and quantity discounts) and it offloads our very small labor force. We are also supplying CNC'd (or Panographed) rough finished stocks to gunsmiths. This also helps offload our limited workforce.

[ 11-05-2003, 09:21: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

Posts: 108 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, you guys looking for a light stock for your M1999, Rod told me that the Cheetah stock will come in around 20oz with a pad. That is pretty darn light for a wooden stock, if you ask me. With lamination, you don't need to worry about warpage either.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<D`Arcy Echols>
posted
I have sold a couple of our Legend stocks for those owning the MRC right handed action. Very little modification is required to this stock to fit the MRC. I can be reached at 435-755-6842 if anyone has any questions.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Hey Rod, Get the picture up of your Redmist stock on your website, will ya? I need a stock for my M1999 action that I'm building into a varmint rifle.

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I was merely relaying what either Dan or Rod had said in the past; I don't know which of the two they were referring to.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red Mist: In early October we were almost ready to program a geometry similar to the Remington VLS (one of which I own) when my partner over at Serengeti said, "Stop - whoa! I found a much better solution." Now Larry practically lives to make red mist, so I listened - and stopped.

We had too many irons in the fire at the same time anyway. Cheetah and Leopard were lagging. Both done now. Sako-Montana is almost done.

Write Larry ( larryt@serengetirifles.com ) or call him at 406-756-2399 and talk to him about Red Mist. I'm sure he'll rattle my cage.

Mike was on the mark about Cheetah. If you like slim stocks or have small hands, this is the one. We've several in the process now and they look sweet. As soon as the first one is finished, I'll pop up a picture. 20-24oz depending on the density of the blank and the options selected.

[ 11-06-2003, 09:45: Message edited by: Rod@Acrabond ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsy-
The stock he turned for me is a classic straight pull sporter with cheek piece and minimal drop at the comb made from some highly figured (RED) and very hard Claro. He installed and shaped a red 1"Pachmeyer which looks great. I requested that he leave some wood in the inletting so that I could do the finish work. Very classy job at a good price. His metal work is very good also and he turns work around in a timely manner. Highly recommended.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And you can always use the old stand by.....McMillan.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
The MRC website has lots of links for sources for stocks

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Still having problems fiding someone with this style stock and Montana action experience that will do the work for less than $4k.

http://www.customgun.com/cb-rifle-C-c.jpg

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Talk to Gerry at Royal Arms Gunstocks. You may have to call. He is not johnnie on the spot with his e-mail.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am not sure those styles fit my needs, but I will give him a try and see what he can do?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
I am not sure those styles fit my needs, but I will give him a try and see what he can do?

He has more patterns than what he shows on his website. He will also use your pattern if you have one.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of obwhan
posted Hide Post
try Richards Micofit its
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER: USNR (ADCS/AW/SW) I have wonderer at times what the TEN COMMAMDMENT'S would look like if Moses had run them through the US congress

Posts: 95 | Location: Whidbey Island Wa | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote