Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber 7-30 Waters to ???????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted
I've got a Contender carbine barrell that I haven't used much. I would like to rechamber it to something more powerful, in fact the most powerful cartridge that an be used on a Contender frame. I'm looking for suggestions, and also suggestions for who to do the chamber job. 7mm JDJ comes to mind for caliber, and of course that would probably be SSK Industries. What other calibers and who to do it ???? TIA.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
interesting...
swap it for a 45/70 or

sell it and get a 375 jdj...

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easy road would be to have it rechambered to 7-08 and use necked down .307 Win brass.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 7-08 at maximum pressure is not safe in the Contender. Too much backthrust.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
May be the 7*57r or 7*65r(175gr at 860m/s)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could do the JDJ or a 7 Bellm (444 necked down to 7), or a 7 Bower ( I believe it's a 307 necked down and imp, but it could be the 444 as well). You could get Mike Bellm, SSK or Dave Van Horn to do these or contact Don Bower about the 7 Bower. Maybe your best route might be to sell the one you have and buy the one you want. The Contender carbine barrels bring a pretty good price and I'll bet you could almost get Van Horn to make a new barrel and come out cheaper by selling yours and buying his.

Rick

Posts: 65 | Location: Madison, TN,USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
I've got a Contender carbine barrell that I haven't used much. I would like to rechamber it to something more powerful,
bowhuntr

Silly me. I thought the 7mm waters was (is?) the most powerful cartridge the contender can handle.

If handloading, I might push the pressure up toward 50,000 psi.

Otherwise, an Encore in 7mm magnum seems like the most obvious choice. Or a savage bolt rifle with replacement barrels from midway.

And speaking of the Encore, is it to small for the Rem ultra mags and the winchester short mags. I could see a win 7mm or .30 Encore if it can handle the pressure and case size.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote