Find
Notify
Tools

Puttin Together a Tactical 20
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I'm going to have my first custom rifle built. It will be chambered for a Tactical 20 (223 remington necked down to a 204). The only component I've choosen so far is the barrel -- I'm going to go with Lilja heavy barrel unless someone can convinces me otherwise. For the stock, I would like a very nice AAA Walnut (Claro or English). What stocks, actions, and triggers do you gentlemen recommend? This will be used most for target and varmint. It will be in the 10 pound or higher range.

I wish I could say money is not an issue, but it is, so I have to be prudent in choosing the components as one reaches the point of deminisioning returns quickly.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JMHO - check out a cooper - they build TAC 20's and they are scary accurate - wood stock nice and I think run about 1k all told.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

JMHO - check out a cooper - they build TAC 20's and they are scary accurate - wood stock nice and I think run about 1k all told.

Hi Teal,

Nice to talk to you outside the Ignorance Creator!

I already own two Coopers (22LR and 17 Mach IV). I've wrestled with the choice of buying another Cooper or a Dakota or builing a custom. I'm kind of doing the research of what it would take to build a custom Tac-20. But I have not written off the idea of buying a Cooper either. Just kind of pricing things out and thinking it through.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto.

If I were to build one I think this would be my recipe:

Rem 700 (all the usual accuracy bells and whistles)
Pac-nor or Krieger barrel in a #5 contour
McMillian stock - swirly pattern, 50% Black and white or 50% Black and blue.
Leupy 3.5-10 with a target knob for elevation.
All put together by a good smith or let Pac-nor do it.
Coated in silver from fit4duty.

That would do it for me I think. I would prob go 223AI b4 teh tac but I think that comes from ignorance on the Tac.

Got a cyber pard with a similar set up squirting 75 grain A-maxes into little holes and he is a heap impressed. (Givin his history that takes some doing)

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Lilja is a fine barrel....I used a Shilen for mine and was satisfied but you go your way...you won't be disappointed I think.

now the hard part.....I built mine on a Remington 700 action.....but the next one will be on a Mauser Mini action or a Sako L461.....

You've chosen a heavy barrel and that's fine but do you really want AAA walnut on a target rifle???

Hey, have at it....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kory,
I built my 20BR on a 700 Remington. I went with a Shilen barrel, #7 contour, H-S Precision stock, and topped it off with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20 with target knobs. Trigger breaks crisply at 16 oz. The rifle is a heavyweight, to be sure, but it is a tack driver. 33gr V-Max's cross the Oehler at slightly more than 4400fps. It's a fun gun.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote