New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walnut -- American vs. English
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Given the apparent lack of reasonably priced synthetic stocks for my new Mex. Mauser, I'm thinking about wood.

So, which would you pick, English or American?

English is a little more expensive but price differences in the grades I'm looking at are trivial. E.g., Great American has Select Plain stocks in American for $95, English for $120. Since I'm going to try my own hand at checkering, finishing, etc., I don't want to go much nicer than that.

But, price isn't everything. Which one is easier to work with when inletting or checkering? Which takes a finish better? Which is more stable?

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
English will usually hold checkering better than American Black walnut.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without doubt, go for the English.

However, if you were considering synthetic, you might consider some of the laminates. They come in some interesting combinationa, everything from almost like solid wood to red, white and blue. And, you can get a nearly ready to go blank for about the numbers you mentioned above.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found some other materials steering me toward English. I prefer a darker, more subdued finish so I will probably use something like the Pilkington Red-Brown finish.

I don't care for laminates, to me they seem neither fish nor fowl. And my girlfriend (who enjoys shooting quite well) *really* hates them.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Kerry.S>
posted
I like engligh walnut the best. There are alot of stocks out there and finding one with the grain you want is not a problem. Also the wood is very tight grained and dense. It cuts extremly well with sharp tools. Black walnut is a bit more open grained and less dense. And sometimes finding a stock with any grain patern is next to imposible although you said you prefer the darker wood. Keep in mind that even though they call it english walnut you will probably get california english at that price. Not to say you can't get a excelent grade of cal english walnut just that's it's easier to get a lesser grade here in the states. I'd take english any day of the week and save the black for the old M1 actions
Kerry

------------------
If you can't hunt, fish. If you can't fish, Hunt

one of us
posted Hide Post
American walnut is referred to by me as California cork wood...

That said there are a few rare Black and claro good blanks but they are rare indeed...
California English is pretty good wood if properly dried and cut.

I prefer European thin shell walnut such as Turkish, Australian and French...Spain has some nice thin shell.

this is just my opinion on the subject, others may disagree, thats why we have a choice.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh come on you guys...this is like asking which is better, small or large breasts....it depends on the figure!!! I have made some stocks out of American (black)walnut that I would not trade for anything. They are absolutely gorgeous. And so is English, Turkish and Claro walnut if it has been cured AND cut properly for its purpose. In my opinion (almost as humble as Ray's)comparing (good) American and English walnut is no different than comparing mahogony to maple. Get a catalog from Wenig stocks (wonderful people). He has a great description (with pictures) of various grades of English and American stocks. I bet you find that you have a preference for one or the other depending on grade you can afford or the project at hand. While Wenig only sells stocks for shotguns, their catalog is a great educational piece and worth its cost.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the answer to your posted question Ultraman, is of course "YES". - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hey clan Frazer I prefer "Scottish" walnut. It's called Englis (medieval spelling) because they stole it from us like everything else! Clan Douglas here,
Jamais Arriere!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Lefty223>
posted
Correction to post about stocks by Fred Wenig:

FYI -- go to www.wenig.com and you'll see that he also does stocks for rifles, one or two piece stocks, sporter or military. As another poster opined -- they are wonderful people and can make you a blank or stock for anything !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As I have said in here in various posts, I second all the above about Fred Wenig and his stockmaking company. He is a true gentleman and does a truly superior job for a very reasonable price. I've looked at many of the "famous" stockmakers work, and almost without exception, Wenig's inletting is closer.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote