Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Riihmaki Stock Finish?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:

Edit: First, to the people that responded to my first post on this project, I cannot thank you enough. Heat was definitely the ticket!

The redo of my Sako Riihmaki stock is going very well. The additional wood is removed (old post - heat guns are beautiful!!)and now I am stripping the finish.

What is available or would you recommend to use as a finish to best match the original finish? (refinishing the entire stock, just want it to look original when I am done)

Thanks in advance.

Ken

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would check on the Sako collectors forum. Just do a search.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
I`m quite sure yours SAKO´s stock has originally been lacked with bright shine lack, based on linseedoil.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
igorrock -

That is something that I have not heard of. Any idea if it is still sold? Any chance there would be something similar hear in the states?

Thank you.

Ken

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the specifics but here's a link to a Riihmaki I sold a few months back, it was in excellent condition and the pics are true to life. Maybe the color photos can help. This gun was minty.

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob -

Thanks for the response, have actually never before seen that type of stock on a Riihmaki. Not that I'm that versed in them, but think that is a 'deluxe' model, I have the 'plain jane' version.

Any other suggestions, or should I just go with a true oil type finish?

Thanks again.

Ken

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, it was a Deluxe. Sorry to say I was selling it for a friends widow so I can't tell you much more about it, Sako's aren't one of my interests (else I would have bought it myslef!).

Posts: 1690 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote