Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 96 6.5X55 improvements
 Login/Join

posted
I've just bought a mauser 96 6.5X55 cheap, it hasn't arrived on my doorstep yet. Its been sporterized but has a rough (cracked and repaired) synthetic stock. Otherwise it seems OK. I plan to fit a new stock, a reasonable scope and use it as a backup deer rifle.

I was considering fitting a timney trigger, however the previous owner has told me that it has had a "cock on opening" kit fitted to it. I searched on the web to check these kits out, The only one I could fine was a dayton traister.

I have some questions. I have not as yet had a close look at the gun. Do all these cock on opening kits involve fitting a replacemen trigger? ie will the gun already have an aftermarket trigger rather than the original trigger? will the kit be compatible with a stock replacement timney trigger?

Cheers

John aka lurcher

Posts: 15 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dayton traister also has a trigger for that m96. If you put a trigger on it , dont get a Timney. Get a Bold. The Bold fits and works alot better on the M96.

Good luck . I hope a competent gunsmith did the work on that rifle . Most the sporterized swedes I have seen were done by hacks, and they are garbage.

I have one I built from parts, The drill/tap bolt handle etc was done by one of the best mauser gunsmiths.

Again good luck... Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best improvement you can make with a M96 is trade it for a M98!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As I recall the Dayton-Traister kit did use their trigger so this rifle would likely have that trigger. If so, it is an entirely usable trigger. Usually I don't think much of the "cock on opening" kits but they can work out fine. The big benefit to the 96 is a reduction in striker travel and lock time. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3767 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote