New
Find
Notify
Tools

smith corona 03-a3 peep sights
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a smith corona 03-A3 that was sporterized back in the early 60's it has what I think is a bishop stock and has a real nice blue finish. The rifle has the original peep and front can opener sight The barrel is in great shape I would like to put a better peep and front sight on the rifle. Any suggestions ? will I have to cut back the barrel to put on a new front sight ? Confused

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In keeping with the '60's look here is what I would suggest. Try and locate an old lyman steel receiver sight for your springfield and lyman target globe front sight. Think it was called the xnb style. This will replace the origional front sight and can be installed by you. The lyman 57 steel receiver sight will be marked SME for springfield-mauser-enfield. Neither is being made today so you may wish to look on e-bay or do a web search for collectors or dealers in old sights. I have both on my 1903A3 and besides looking nice they work very well. Hope this helps, Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the suggestions I can't really fault the military peep to much other than fine tuning it comes to the eye well. My problem is the front blade I have a hard time seeing it in low light conditions (black Timber, dawn, dusk ). Will the lyman fron't globe replace the blade on the military front sight?

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My fault, didn't realize you would be hunting with your springfield. Instead of the globe front sight you may want to use a gold bead front sight. I used the same setup on a .303 jungle carbine when I hunted in pennsylvania. Should be better in low light as you said. Check with marbles. They may have a replaceable front sight blade with gold bead or brass bead that fits where the standard military blade front sight is now. You would have to remove the pin that holds the military blade in place on your A3, insert the replacement blade and reinsert the pin. You would probably have to resight the rifle with the new blade but should be more visible. Hope this helps. Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live and hunt in NW Montana most shots are well within 200 yards and a lot within 50. much of my hunting takes place in heavily forested mountains where light can be quite dim. I have found that I really enjoy hunting with my 03 with open sights however an upgrade is needed. thanks for your suggestions. I will be making the change before next season

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Redfield used to make what is described in the 1940 Stoegers as a 'Full Block Sight' for use in the original Springfield front ramp. It was a Patridge/Sourdough type blade with an angled gold insert. It is extra high to match with the original 03 sights. It was the number 50 or 51 depending on whether you used the iron or peep rear I suppose. I have such a sight on an 03 that has had barrel and wood cut to 16" and the original ramp re-installed. Looks good works good. I know they were still produced in the 50's while I was in gunsmith school as they were commonly used to sporterize 03's. It would be exactly what you are looking for I imagine.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote