Find
Notify
Tools

What Replacement trigger for a CZ550
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
I have recently brought home a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and after shooting it some, I am just not happy with the trigger which has a lot of creep before breaking. This is of the single set variety

Can the CZ trigger be tuned to break sharply or am I better repalcing the trigger with an aftermarket type. If an aftermarket trigger, what brands are you have good success with in this application.

Thank you for your help,

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timney.I had one put on my CZ 458wm by a very good gunsmith and I like it so far.It is softer and breaks lighter than the trigger on my two new Lott Rugers,which also have great triggers.It makes for quick accurate shooting.The factory CZ trigger is the worst one I ever seen.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ trigger is adjustable. Try that before spending $ to replace it.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the right person can do a good job on the factory trigger. Mine has a Timney and it is OK.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 550 triggers are fully adjustable and great after being set up properly. I've done plenty of them and just did one last week for a customer. An aftermarket trigger for one is a big waste of money.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I don't like the 'set' trigger pull on the 550 at all, but the stock trigger can be adjusted to a very fine unset pull; at least mine in 9,3x62 came out that way with very little effort.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
There seems to be two distinct opinions regarding the factory CZ trigger, and not much in the middle. At first I was determined to replace mine with a Timney, but my gunsmith was slow to do it, and I had time to change my mind. My gunsmith kept saying he had not replaced a CZ trigger, but had adjusted/tuned several factory triggers with great results.

Anyway, one day I was in his shop and he handed me my CZ in 6.5x55 and asked me if the trigger seemed OK to me now. He had gone ahead and worked on the factory trigger - whatever he does - without asking me first. He took a chance that it would be OK, knowing me for many years, he made a safe bet. Anyway, the trigger pull is excellent, so I paid him and took the rifle home.

So, I don't know for sure, because I don't have extensive long-term experience with the CZ triggers, but I now have four CZs, and I don't want to spend the money on replacment triggers when I can't find a problem with the factory triggers.

Therefore, I have a new Timney trigger for the CZ 550. If that's what you want I'll sell it to you. PM me if interested. My bets for now are on the factory triggers, tuned a little.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Definantly get the factory one rebuilt by a good gunsmith.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
AHR, as in American Hunting Rifles. They make a great single stage replacement. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a trigger should be made tough enough to withstand the recoil from larger calibers.I don't think the CZ trigger is tough enough.I started to notice a really bad creep or slack after a couple of hundred rds in my Lott.My gunsmith suggested I change mine because he thought it was too "fragile" for its purpose.I don't like spending money for nothing(although done it many times) but, I so far have no regret and feel that without the Timney I didn't have much of a rifle.I think the factory safety however, is a really good one.It just doesn't look that nice and the location of the small lever leaves an hole in the stock.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
The 550 triggers are fully adjustable and great after being set up properly. I've done plenty of them and just did one last week for a customer. An aftermarket trigger for one is a big waste of money.

Do you do any spring changing on the CZ triggers? I've never done a CZ trigger, but have been doing all of my own trigger jobs for the last 8 years. And I'm interested in all triggers.

Don

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
I thank you all for your responses. Though athey are varied in opinion I will have it looked at by a gunsmith and see if it can be smoothed.

I have lightened the weight of pull and the set triger is fine, it is the unset trigger pull that is very creepy.

Again, thank you for the thoughtful responses.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good gunsmith can clean up a CZ trigger to be far better than a Timney and most other triggers for that matter .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 550's trigger easily adjusted to a very nice pull, 2.5# and crisp. The set feature is easily disabled without altering the trigger in anyway. I will be easy to reable the set function with just a small screw driver.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote