Notify
Tools

Re: Good price for an 03-A3 sporter?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
Todd

Does it have a two or four grove barrel. I am betting it is a two grove one. I have never been a fan of the National Ordinance receivers, and also a lot of the bolts that were used in them. Many bolts have a very clubby looking safety lug and the body of many show serious machine tool marks. Add to this the fact that the triggerguard is the pressed metal one for my money you probably would be better of finding something better for a starting point. Parts to upgrade these are not always cheap.

I have found fairly nice 1903 sporters for 250-300 dollars, or just a bit more, that will be much better finished, have four grooved barrels, smooth bolt bodies and milled bottom metal. Some even had pretty good stocks on them. Many came already drilled and tapped for either scope or receiver sights and some even had band type ramps by Lyman or Redfield.

I agree that you should have a Springfield or six in the safe with all those Mausers, but if it were me I would try and find something a little nicer as a starting point. For my money you probably aren't getting a lot for $125 with that National Ordinance A3 if you plan to upgrade it at all. If you are happy with it as is, I wouldn't be, then it may be a fair price. I would be much happier if it was a Smith Corona 03A3, some Remington A3s are even fairly nice, but I would still try for a Springfield Armory 03 as my number one choice.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
It says National Ordnance on the receiver.

Was just shootin mine today. Hadn't shot it in 5-6 years,

As I understand it these are cast steel receivers cast by CZ. I could be wrong, but I think you will find the entire gamut of opinions on this one.
All of my metal is machined and I like the big old stock on mine, but if I were going to be lugging a gun long distances I would carry my other 1903 a model 70 in plasctic for weight reduction or something much more portable like a Redhawk, Super Redhawk or TC Contender!

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Todd,
if it's a complete gun for 125, get it...

but, a natl ord receiver is NOT the best, as NOTHING lines up right with 1903 parts.. i've got one in my collection of 1903s... turned out to be good enough to keep, just took longer than I expected
jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies - I think I will pass on it. I did notice machining marks on the bolt, although to be honest I've always thought that 03A3's tended to be a little rougher finished than a contract military Mauser by CZ or DWM/Oberndorf. I am also extremely leary of guns that are D&T'd by someone other than me or my gunsmith, as I have yet to buy one that has properly aligned holes.

As I understand it, the 1903 (not A3) has a rounded rear bridge like a Mauser, and are typically finished better? Maybe that would be a good starting point.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote