THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do Talley and Warne QD rings fit the same bases?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I'm having a bolt on Bridge / Base made for my rifle. The "smith" says that it is built for Talley rings, then in passing says that Warnes will also fit.
Somebody please straighten me out.
I have never owned either Talley or Warne rings and have been under the assumption that they used proprietery bases, guessing now I was wrong.
Do Talleys, Warnes and the like all fit on Weaver style bases?
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO!

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO!

Warne will fit their own weaver style base or a normal weaver base. The Warne (at least all I have) are steel bases but they will work on the Weaver aluminum base.

The Talley uses their own base.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Warnes and Talleys at least the ones I have are different widths. The Talleys are wider than the Warnes. The Warnes I have are all the old original ones. Warne does make rings that fit on Weaver bases and make Weaver style bases. The Weaver style are the 'Maxima' and the Warne proprietary are the 'Premier'. They also make rings to fit Sako,Brno/CZ and Ruger.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Warne proprietary are the 'Premier'

Thanks for the addition I had completely forgot about the Premier series. All I use was the Maxima.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
So are the Talley's wider?
Or what is the difference in fit?
Thanks guys.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The Talley bases are a 1/2" dovetail. Warne Premiers are a 3/8" dovetail. And the Warne Maximas are a Weaver type base.

Warne still offers the Premier bases but they now fit their 7.3 series rings also.

The Warne Premier rings are my absolute favorite. I have them on most of my rifles but they are no longer made and are hard to come by. If anyone happens to have any Premiers they want to get rid of I am always looking for more.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quit Warne products 15 years ago. I was a stocking dealer. To do any project, I had to have at least two sets of rings and three sets of bases in order to get a setup that would work. After 6 years of such nonsense, I called them, complained about the left over stuff I had that was bad. They told me to send the stuff in and I would get a credit. I said BS and wanted a refund. They complied. I then bought 150 sets of Talley rings and bases and never looked back. I have only had one set of Talley bases not work out due to the crappy contouring of the rear bridge of a Weatherby. I returned the bases, explained the problem to Gary Turner and he made me up some custom bases that worked just fine.I really don't think anyone can beat Talley's.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lb404:
I quit Warne products 15 years ago. I was a stocking dealer. To do any project, I had to have at least two sets of rings and three sets of bases in order to get a setup that would work. After 6 years of such nonsense, I called them, complained about the left over stuff I had that was bad. They told me to send the stuff in and I would get a credit. I said BS and wanted a refund. They complied. I then bought 150 sets of Talley rings and bases and never looked back. I have only had one set of Talley bases not work out due to the crappy contouring of the rear bridge of a Weatherby. I returned the bases, explained the problem to Gary Turner and he made me up some custom bases that worked just fine.I really don't think anyone can beat Talley's.

I have 24 sets of Warne Premier rings on various rifles and NEVER once had any glitches with rings or bases. I have received nothing but examplary service from Warne. They have even gone so far as to alter bases to 8x40 screws and even refurbished a few sets of rings I purchased off of Ebay all free of charge. The only occasion where I had a problem was where I needed a slightly longer base in order to allow the scope to mount with a little wiggle room between the bells of the scope. I called them and asked which one I needed to get it right and they sent me the correct one free of charge also. And I am the one who ordered the short base, not them.

They have made a loyal customer out of me. Talley has great customer service also and they too will treat you right.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 24 sets of Warne Premier rings on various rifles and NEVER once had any glitches with rings or bases. I have received nothing but examplary service from Warne.

While I only have around ten sets. I've never had an issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K