New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 problem child
 Login/Join

<Telly>
posted
I have a pre-warning Ruger M-77 in 7x57 that will shoot only when the bullets are seated way out in the throat. Otherwise, two of three most of the time are within a half inch or so with the other shot being out of the group by an inch to an inch and a half. 175 gr. bullets, seated at the cannelure don't shoot well at all. I relieved the up pressure on the stock but it shoots the same. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would like to sell it, but don't want to sell someone a pig in a poke.

<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
Well, I'll give you $60 for it and then I'll take my chances, OK?

CAL9

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll give you $100, I'd like that pig in a poke. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
I'll up the price to $125.00 and like the other fellows I am willing to take my chances! The reamer that I used to chamber my custom built 7x57 cut a LOOOng throat also, and I need to seat a 139 Hornady with about 1/4" showing below the cannular, but the rifle shoots great this way. Most people are aware that Ruger cut very long throats on the 7x57- tell the buyer the truth and you have nothing to worry about.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Telly,

You say the gun will only shoot when the bullets are seated way out in the throat? I assume THEN it shoots good?

If so, the fix is easy, just shorten the throat back to a more useable length. How you ask? Make up a dummy round with the bullet seated where you want it, usually at the base of the neck. Next, make a cast of the chamber and measure this cast against the seated dummy round.

Determine the amount of excess free bore in length, and then divide this length by .0625 which will give you the number of turns you will need to set your barrel back to remove the excess freebore. Once this is done, all that is left to do is to reset the headspace using a body reamer.

With no sights to align or extractor slots to cut, this should be a cheap and easy fix for your factory barrel.

Good luck,

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I'll go $150... [Smile]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
$175.00

<JBelk>
posted
Telly--

Depending on when in the production run your rifle was made, it could have a really trashy barrel with a 1.250 throat. This was the first big mistake from Ruger and many of those guns, right out of the box, were only capable of paint can accuracy. The No 1 7x57s had the same problem about the same time.