New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington M11 parts/gauge interchange?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We have a M11 in the shop with a 16 gauge receiver, carrier, and barrel. It also has a 20 gauge marked carrier latch, operating handle, and bolt assy. Currently it will not feed up as the carrier dog won't release the bolt. The operating handle and the link have been ground on so I am having to order parts. I see at Numrich there are 20 gauge and 16 gauge parts. Other parts work in 16 and 20 gauge.

So my question is: Does anyone know if the 20 gauge internals are interchangeable/proper for a 16 gauge M11 or do I need to order 16 gauge parts where indicated? This gun has been worked on a good bit and I have no idea what might be original.

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as I remember,,the Rem M11 was made on gauge specific frame sizes.
3 different frames (sizes) for the 3 gauges 12,16,20.
Some of the major components for each size frame (gauge) are specific for that frame.
The bolt and the carrier are two that are gauge specific.
(The bolts have early and later style firing pins as well round and square style )

Many of the small parts will interchange betw the frames,,like the hammer and trigger IIRC.
Others are again gauge specific. Then within the gauge there can be early and late variations and sometimes the same but not for every gauge,,etc.
Maybe some can get the shotgun to work reliably with a mix of gauge specific parts, but I've always followed the parts lists that the factory decided were necessary to make the gun work.

It's been a long time since I had an 11 to work on and thats OK with me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that detailed feedback.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote