Find
Notify
Tools

problem with scope on remington 7400
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I just had a new 3200 bussnel mounted on my Remington 7400 30-06 using leupold mounts. I headed off to the range to sight it in but reached max adjustment on my scope 8 inchs below bulls eye. Seems to me when I mounted the first scope 20 yrs ago I had the same problem. The store changed the scope and the next was fine. Is this a common problem? Do I need to shim it? I'm I just unlucky with scopes? Any suggestion?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are probably right with needing to shim it. If the scope is adjusting, it doesn't sound like that's the problem.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bc300winguy:
I just had a new 3200 bussnel mounted on my Remington 7400 30-06 using leupold mounts. I headed off to the range to sight it in but reached max adjustment on my scope 8 inchs below bulls eye. Seems to me when I mounted the first scope 20 yrs ago I had the same problem. The store changed the scope and the next was fine. Is this a common problem? Do I need to shim it? I'm I just unlucky with scopes? Any suggestion?

Center the reticle, then shim under the scope tube at the rear ring. The shim needs to be thick enough that the scope reticle points at the center of your collimator grid with the recticle adjusted to the center position, so you have half the available internal elevation adjustments on each side of the boresight zero spot. I cut my shims from aluminum beer cans with a pair of scissors. (Beer cans make much better shims than soft drink cans. Somehow, the deer know the difference!!)

Another alternative that will be mentioned is the Burris rings that have the eccentric inserts in them to allow you to boresight without the use of shims.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to shim it I would suggest placing the shim under the base, not between the scope tube and the ring. Brownell’s sells shims that are pre drilled for the base screws and they come in varying thicknesses.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
If you are going to shim it I would suggest placing the shim under the base, not between the scope tube and the ring. Brownell’s sells shims that are pre drilled for the base screws and they come in varying thicknesses.

Like Rick said, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the capfire:
Before I started shiming the rings, I would check that they were the proper ones. You might try putting the rear one in front and the front in the rear. Check them against each other. if they are suspost to be the same, and arn't send them back. Do it right if possable, before rigging it otherwise.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a word of caution since you didn’t provide info on your base[s]. Shims should only be used under one piece bases. If you shim one or the other on a two piece base set up you are going to place the scope tube in stress when you tighten down the ring caps since you will have changed the “bore†alignment of the front and rear rings.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote