New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mtng System??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally nearing the end of building FN Mauser/300WM and have fair amount of work/$$'s invested and would like to use a top grade scope mtng. system. Scope will be Leupold and know they offer many mnt's, have quite a few of them, but looking for suggestions or other options. By the way, Leupold's LX mntn'g system is discontinued even though they are stil listed on their web site. Would prefer ability to remove/install w/ reasonable return to zero.
All input appreciated.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suhler type claw mounts have proven themselves for over 100 years

Gotta admit the low end Leupold seems to actually return to zero pretty damn good..not as fast, however...and you've got those bloomin levers that get into button holes, hang up the sling...etc.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is your budget?

Suhler and Smithson are really good and expensive.

Talley are good and ~$100

Leupold & Warne also make quick detachable mounts and I'm sure there are some others.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Weaver scope base(s) with Weaver Quad Rings!!!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
yeah you can get weavers at walmart rotflmo

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for budget, I quit counting on this particular rifle and thought that might be able to buy something on the high end for less than 500.00 which seems high to me for scope/mount system on a bolt rifle. I will check out those various ones suggested and appreciate the feedback.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can pay megabux for claws if you want, but I've always gotten splendid results from the Kimber/Warne Premier system. It returns to zero within NO MORE than 1/2 MOA variation, by actual test, and costs less than $150. Same goes for Talleys. Both Talleys and Kimbers are basically copies of the earlier Griffin & Howe top mounts as now made by Billingsley/Brownell, and are top-notch IMO.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote