New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 121 feeds poorly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I repaired the chamber of my friend's Remington 121, but still have to fix a feeding problem.

The cartridge should slide up onto the bolt face, but it tends to stay down where it fed in from the mag tube.

The small knob that moves the feed ramp seems to be undamaged, but it is leaving scratches as shown on the pic below. The small piece indicated by arrow #2 seems to just slide around and not do anything. I think I put the action back together correctly after cleaning everything out, but it is possible I screwed something up.

The scratches shown might be a sign of something malfunctioning.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This may get some answers if it's moved t 'Gunmsithing'.

Would you like me to move it?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please do.

Ranb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried cycling it fast?
I had an ancient 12C as a kid. I had it apart and back together several times before I was 13.
It seemed impossible to assemble wrong. It did seem to hang up when operated too slow.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the 121 is about the same as the Model 12:

In the second photo, part labled #2 is the carrier dog.
It's spring loaded,,small coil spring behind the muzzle end of it. Sometimes the spring is lost on disassembly and missed.
A small cross pin holds the part in place along with the spring on the action slide.

With out the spring power, the part will not snap & latch onto the carrier when the pump handle is closed and elevate it (and the cartridge) into position for feeding.

Part #1 (second photo) is the 'cartridge stop'. It has no spring tension to it when in place and should be able to slide back and forth in it's groove.
You can remove that when the above part (carrier dog) is removed.

The cartridge carrier itself should have spring tension on it that holds it in the lower/down position.
That spring tension comes from the top end of the trigger (coil) spring pushing upwards on a small shelf on the carrier located on the opposite side of it's pivot point.
The carrier pivots on the same hollow bushing as does the hammer.

In the third picture,, there should be spring tension on the carrier. If you were to lift it up slightly,,it would snap back down to the position shown .

There's also a part called the 'cartridge retainer' in the Model 12.
Different part from the 'cartridge stop'.

I don't know if it exists in the Model 121 or not.
It's free to fall from the rifle upon disassembly and many are missing from the M12's.

It lays in a groove in between the receiver and bottom of the bbl and falls free when the action slide is completely removed from the receiver.
Not the best of designs,,maybe they fixed that on the 121,,but I don't know for sure.
I think they just changed the firing pin design and the stocks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no spring for my carrier dog. I will get a look at an exploded drawing to see if there should be. That part seems to serve no purpose as it is assembled now.

Ranb