New
Find
Notify
Tools

which side mount for Schoenauer ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a m schoenauer needing a scope ,what i would like is a sidemount as it hasnt been drilled for top mounts so like to keep the top original, there is either the EAW which looks a bit bulky or over engineered ,or the jaeger which looks slimmer but has alloy rings which i dont like .i have a 3 to 9 leupold to go on it .my eyes arent good enough to use it open sighted ,so i really need a scope for it .Any advice on which way or other way to go on it ? thanks for any advice

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here ya go. Dont drill the side either.

Steyr mount

http://mannlicherschoenauer.com/mannlicherfacts3.htm

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will ruin the value of your rifle with a side mount. no collector will touch it for any significant money.

check out the one which is for sale in the classifieds..... and languishing for a new owner.

the only proper way to scope it is like the factory did - with claw mounts.

the front base goes on a ring which goes around the barrel in front of the receiver. the rear is an offset mount to the left side of the rear bridge.

if interested i can help with all the parts except the barrel ring - it is out of stock for me right now.

crownpress@alltel.net tom 814 774 5739

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My favorite is the Griffen & Howe side mount. The later models had a filler plate on the left side just for this mount.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You must have the rifle to use and you say you need a scope so for gosh sake put one on. MS advertised their rifles with scopes,modified them for low scope ie; the lowered bolt handle.They put a side safety on to clear a scope and put a filler plate in the left side of reciever to allow a Griffin & Howe to be mounted without having to modify the stock. I'm not sure but I think the rear left side of the bridge was finally drilled and tapped for a Redfield base and the front ring was also so tapped. Incidentally the Porsche wasn't drilled and tapped for the Ford mounts and I've owned enough Porsches to know. The only other side mount I know of for the MS was a Jaeger which you occaisonally see on ebay. It is similar to the G&H but maybe a little neater. The G&H is currently produced.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a summary of my experience with M-S scope mounts:

Steyr factory - Rugged and valuable. About as streamlined as a tank. Lots of sharp corners and edges. Allows use of iron sights.

G&H side mount - Accurate. Sharp edges. Allows iron sights.

Jaeger Side mount - Accurate. More streamlined than G&H. Allows irons.

Williams side mount - Cheap. Requires holes above the wood line.

Leupold side mount - Requires holes above the woodline. Easiest way to devalue an M-S rifle.

Bausch & Lomb - 2nd easiest way to devalue an M-S rifle.

EAW side mount - Rugged and accurate. Bulky on such a svelte rifle.

Pachmayr side mount - Cheap. Allows use of irons by flipping the scope to the side.

EAW top mount (swing away) - Accurate, allows use of most irons.

Redfield top mount - Cheap. Aesthetic attrocity. Does not allow use of irons. Rear peep model is to high for factory front bead.

Claw mounts - Absolutely the best, if done properly. Allows use of irons.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KurtC did a great job analyzing the M-S scope mounts, now let me dig a little deeper into the subject. Only a few mounts are "acceptable" to Mannlicher collectors =

Steyr swing mounts
Griffin & Howe side mounts (properly done)
Jaeger side mounts (properly done)
EAW mounts
Redfield top mount

Quick ways to devalue a Mannlicher are the

Leupold mount
Williams mount
Pachmayr mount
Basch & Lomb mount

Claw mounts are iffy, since some people think they reduce the strength of the rifle, depending upon where the front claw is placed. Also, it's difficult to find a complete claw mount set in today's market, and replacement claw mount rings start at $600.00

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice everyone ! my rifle is identical to the one in the classifieds but its in 270 ,on the floorplate it says ''SARKS SYNDNEY'', i think i will take the advice and try for the original mount as suggested by Tommo 577, will PM you bout it ,thanks again .

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote