THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt work on Mausers needed, who to do it?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I have three Mausers that I need some work done on. They need new bolt handles welded on and also the safeties installed. I have the safeties already. On the M96 Swede I would like a butter knife bolt handle and a Talley or similar on the 2 98's.

Is there anyone that you can reccomend that wont make me go broke?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
William

Since no one has answered I’ll recommend David Christman.
David Christman
216 Rundell Loop rd.
Delhi LA.
(318) 878-1395

I have seen him do bolt handles with out the whole action and that shouldn’t be a problem except the inletting of your stock. I’m not sure how the safety works with out having the action. He may need the action to get the sear engagement right. I’m not sure about that though. Give him a call, he’ll shoot you straight quote you a fair price and probably tell you if he knows of someone in you local.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk Tig welded Talley knobs on my Mausers . Id like to know who does as good of work as Jack did also. On the west side of the Rockys

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They say Roger Ferrell in Georgia is quite good. And Mark Penrod too.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
GSP7

Id like to know who does as good of work as Jack did also. On the west side of the Rockys

Dennis olson qualifies on both counts. Smiler

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom Burgess fits that bill nicely.

Here is a pic of a bolt he did for someone on the AR forum, and quite nicely I might add!

I had better pics but can't find them now.

Here they are:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9.../793101952#793101952

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last time I needed it done I tried a fairly new gunsmith Mark Skaggs. I don't mind giving newer people a chance. He did an excellent job and was more than reasonable. He is in Oregon. I will most certainly use him again for this type of work. Look at his picture section.
Skaggs Gunsmithing

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surly you can find someone in El Paso ( I guess your still at Ft. Bliss) to do that work, Juarez used to have some of the best gunsmiths I have ever seen, they used to make pre 64 M-70s in rare calibers and sell them in the USA, I saw a few of them and I swear they were perfect replicas, in fact better finished, mostly they use a dull file to make them...That town used to have a ton of great gunsmiths that weren't partically well known? then that was many moons past.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
No Ol' M1 is here in Ft Huachuca doing nothing he is practicaly my next door nieghbor. I talked to him this morning and he was doing honey do's.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I would guess with the changes in Mexico gun laws that got really tight in the early 70's if I remember correctly........a gunsmith across the border is pretty scarce these days. None the less a lot of very good but little known gun smiths exist all over the place and operate on a local basis.

I will say this, in my part of Texas (South Texas, gun smiths are getting fewer and fewer. Alot of them have got old, died or quit. Some make more money working on other things than guns. Like Dewight Marshal in Refugio Texas, he would much rather machine on oil field equipment than guns.......more money in it. But they are still around, just got to find them, lots don't advertise and some are very good and little to prove.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Billy: a lot of very good but little known gun smiths exist all over the place and operate on a local basis...they are still around, just got to find them, lots don't advertise and some are very good and little to prove

Ditto.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson did this:

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow!! what wood is that?? amer. black walnut??

Zubin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can do your bolt handles, I will need the action also as I feel it necessary to attach the bolt as low as possible and that necessitates removing some material from the action where the root of the bolt fits.

Email me for a price.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
z375,

It is English walnut. Sorry my photography skills are poor.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Surly you can find someone in El Paso ( I guess your still at Ft. Bliss) to do that work, Juarez used to have some of the best gunsmiths I have ever seen, they used to make pre 64 M-70s in rare calibers and sell them in the USA, I saw a few of them and I swear they were perfect replicas, in fact better finished, mostly they use a dull file to make them...That town used to have a ton of great gunsmiths that weren't partically well known? then that was many moons past.

NO! He's at Fort Hoochy-Koochy, at Sierra Vista Arizona, S. of Tucson!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:

He's at Fort Hoochy-Koochy, at Sierra Vista Arizona, S. of Tucson!!

How about the Mr. Wells in Tuscon (Frank I think?)?

Or Sterling Davenport in Tuscon.

Or David Miller in Tuscon.

Or the gunsmith doing the .550 Magnum work in Yuma, AZ. Can someone remind me of his name?

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
These guys put one on a 96 for me and like it pretty well. Didn't cost much and I only sent in the bolt.
http://www.kenfarrell.com/RBH-8620-WELD.html Thats not my rifle.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I sure appreciate all the input. I think with all the suggestions I should be able to find somebody to handle the job.

Idared,
Those are some very nice bolt handles. Exactly what I am looking for.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote