New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN Mauser action question (H&R300)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I received my H&R 300 Ultra Rifle today and noticed a ring around the firing pin hole in the end of the bolt. There is definately a bushing of some type there and I was wondering if this is factory?? Also is the bolt chromed or just polished? I bought this rifle mainly because of the action. I am somewhat dissapointed with the rest of the rifle. The aluminum bottom metal is CHEAP! What would be a good quality rifle with an FN action (Browning?)?Thanks for your help!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What you're seeing is a gas cut from leaking primers.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
shoot it before you throw rocks, they have a douglas ultra barrel and usually shoot sub 1" groups, the stock looks bad but hold better off hand than anything i own.. i have 4 with fn actions and 1 with a sako action..you forgot the trigger sucks but is usable..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,
I'm still curious about the ring around the primer hole in the bolt.I had it at the gunsmiths and he says he is almost certain it is a bushing and not gas cut.Tom ga hunter,do any of yours have this ring??Thanks for the replys!

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
someone probably didn't like the off center strike, and had it bushed

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i checked 3 & none have a bushing on the bolt face..is the top of the bolt knob machined flat?? have you shot it? i normally pay about $400-450 for a 300, $300 for a 330 and up to $500 for a 301.. my hunting partner has 2 300's and 1 301..all these guns shoot well..a actually shot 3 does in 1 bunch with a 270 3 years ago.. not bad for a bolt action with a screwed up bolt handle..

how does yours shoot?? what cal. is it??

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for checking out your rifles! Yes it does have the flat bolt.I haven't shot it yet because i need to do a repair on the stock first. The bore looks excellent so I'm hoping it's a shooter.I see what you said about the stock feeling good when holding offhand though, it looks a litle strange but does feel right. Do all of your guns have the same bottom metal? I saw a picture of one that seems to have different metal than most I have seen. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
my sako has sako bottom metal, my friend has a mkx which has mkx bottom metal. i have fitted parker hale botom metal on 1 i sold but it is only marginally better.. you might want to try the old williams bottom metal, some 1 else makes it now but Brownells sells it..i look at 300 & 301's as semi custom rifles for the price of a used remington.. i have more expensive rifles but they are the only wood stocked rifles i have hunter with in years..fyi.. the barrels are douglas and the stock are Fajen Aristocrats most of which are s step up from remington factory wood..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. Are the 301's much nicer than the 300's? I have never seen one? Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
301 is full stocked to the muzel (mannlinker) without the roll over cheek piece.. i have been looking for a sako action one for years..

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe there is one of those on Gunsamerica now. Isn't there a rifle that is the same style as the 300 but with a higher grade of wood?

one of us
posted Hide Post
item #976422308 in gunsamerica is a 301 with a FN action, i would pass on it-1. too expensive, 2.7 rem mag in a 18.5" bbl doesn't make much sence to me, I want a sako action.

several itmes under it is a m340.. if it actually has a FN action would be a deal they have classic stocks but the 2 i have seen had unmarked actions which were mkx actions & bottom metal..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info tom ga hunter. I really appreciate it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
the action in the 340 in gunsamerica.com is a mkx.. they sent me pictures..i think their price is too high..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I didn't think it was an FN. I had the pictures sent to me also. Nice stock though.