New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win Pre-64 action, 300 RUM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the Winchester M70 Pre-64 action to small to handle the 300 RUM?

one of us
posted Hide Post
not if you find an H&H action, but that might be costly. You can however find a classic in that cartridge.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do such a conversion, magazine box width may be an issue. The RUMs (and other fat cartridges) don't always feed and/or eject reliably from standard magazines.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was more worried about the thread shank diameter. A Winchester has a barrel thread shank of 1"-16tpi a Remington is 1.062"-16tpi.

Some people think that a .378-based Weatherby case, which has a body diameter of .582 compared to .550 on the RUM, is unsafe in a Remington.

The RUM in a Winchester action has a .015" thinner chamber wall thickess than a .378-based Weatherby case in a Remington action.

My question has anybody put a RUM case in a Winchester action?

The action I have was originally from a 300H&H rifle. There is no difference in size between the std action and the magnum H&H action. The only difference is the rear bridge is notched out on top, the rails are opened up and lengthen to accept the H&H cartridge, and the boltface is opened up.

I will probably have to build a mag box since the cartridge has less taper.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Check this out;
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...DED%20MAGAZINE%20BOX

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote