New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transition-era model 70 owners
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I picked up a 1947 270 WCF over the weekend. It is in a Bishop stock (that's what the buttplate says anyway) - checkered and very well fitted everywhere. Bore is excellent except for the last 1.5" or so, which has some light pitting. I shot some 130 PSPCLs through it - all five (3-shot) groups were between 3/4" and 1" at 100 yds. Action functioned just smooth as could be.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out if it was re-blued or not. The bluing is very nice and the writing is all still nice and deep and there are no drummel marks of any kind; no pitting anywhere either. However, the bolt handle is blued and the reciever blue and the barrel blue match perfectly, which does not seem to be the case on many other pre-64s I've seen (usually the action has a slightly more "matte" look to it). Also the bolt shroud (only) is a bit purpled. What do you think?

I bought it for the action, but I am still curious anyway...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I collect transition era M70's and they all have a reciever that is, as you say, more matte that the barrel. I wish I could find a nice beater transition era M70 to customize but everyone I find is in way to nice of shape to rip apart. FYI my latest aquasition was a transition .257 carbine.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I actually bought it for the action with the intention of building a 35 Whelen. Looks like my project is on... oh boy!

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
9.3x62,

Sounds like a reblue for sure if everything matches.

Hey Reelman, I collect prewar Model 70s and live in the Minneapolis area. Send me a pm and if I come across a transition model I will let you know, maybe you could do likewise on a prewar if you're not interested. I'm always looking for parts too.

James

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Good, so I shouldn't feel guilty using it for a custom project. I paid $475 for it...

Any idea if the 270 to 35 will require an feeding modifications, I would think not, but I thought I'd ask while on the subject.

What's the old barrel worth?

Thanks guys.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I haven't done the exact conversion but I wouldn't think it would require any mods as the parent case is the '06 if I remember correctly. As far as barrel value, front sight $10, hood $20, if it has a 22G rear sight $40, barrel itself without the parts mentioned, maybe $20. Those are retail values in my area or what they might go for on Ebay. If it were not reblued 50-100, but there is no collector value since it's not original, in my opinion.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote