New
Find
Notify
Tools

Devcon or Brownells Steel Bed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I normally use AcraGlas as my bedding compound but I let it get low and don't have enough to do my next project.

I've got Devcon Plastic Steel Putty or Brownells Steel Bed on the shelf and am going to use one of them..

What is the difference in working with the Devcon product as compared to AcraGlas? How about the Steel Bed?

Any preferences out there?

Any tricks or traps that I should know about?

How about cleaning off the excess that squeezes out? I use a rag soaked in vinegar to clean off the epoxy, does the same work on the Devcon or Steel Bed?

I'll be doing the bedding first thing in the morning.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Make sure and plug all the holes and other spots with oil clay where the glass could run into and make a mechanical interlock. Devcon isn't rubbery overnight and will break out large chunks if it gets in the wrong spot.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the "Steel Bed" for years with no complaints. I always allow a full 24 hour cure period before removal.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm no gun smith !. I do how ever know epoxies better than most around . I worked with manufactured and tortured ( tested ) almost every brand and proto types around . I've never been let down by Devcon in any way shape or form .

Just my $ 0.0025 worth of input ( NASA uses it ! )

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Devcon

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote