New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington model 12 bolt lock question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired an old Remington model 12a pump 22. After cleaning out the gunk, I note the action will come out of battery with out firing or depressing the carrier button (just in front of the trigger). It has a definite "catch" but forceful back pressure on the slide causes the bolt to lower and the action to open.

Is this a safety concern? Is this a common problem? Does anyone know of a source of new or at least not worn out used parts? I assume the carrier or the dog or both are worn, and used parts may have the same wear. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a safety issue since it could come slightly out of battery and still fire. Take it to a competent gunsmith who is familiar with that action. Parts might be a problem but welding up worn areas and refitting can be an option.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem solved.

Mike, I would love to find a gunsmith willing to work on old guns, but the ones in my area will not work on "obsolete" guns. They deal mostly with "platform guns" and handguns. They suggested I make it a wall hanger and buy a 10/22.

I inspected it a bit more carefully and found the dog was slipping past the carrier (lifter). I deburred the carrier slot in the trigger guard, and stoned the front of the carrier where it sits on the guard to lower the carrier a bit. That allows it to engage the dog and block the action from opening. The carrier is still lifted when the hammer has fallen, or by the carrier button in front of the trigger guard. this allows the action to open. The bolt goes all the way up into battery, and the lug on the top of hte bolt fully engages preventing the concern about discharge out of battery. The action now works as designed, and when I can get ammo, the gun is a joy to shoot.

RogerR,---not a gunsmith, but recently retired with lots of time Smiler

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]?..will not work on "obsolete" guns./QUOTE]

Now, there's a long list of guns I won't work on, e.g. Jennings, High Point, Pheonix etc., but that's because IMO they are junk and not worth anyone's time, but to refuse an old Winchester or Remington because it's out of production? Hardly can call oneself a "Gunsmith" if doing that. I'm glad you got it running again.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote