THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any reason not to use Turnbull Restoration?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi

Thinking seriously about sending them a set of mounts for colour case hardening. Anyone had any problems in the past? PM if you would prefer.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GG

Everything that he has done for me has been very good. He cased a Ruger #1 for me a few months ago.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Doug does great work and is used by a majority of the top gun builders in this country.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The only reason NOT to use him is if you can't pay his price!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He has done some awesome work, and I've never seen anything he's done that I wouldn't love to own..
High class stuff..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
he done a rather nice job on my 1909 arg...9.3x64....I don't have any problem with his price ....at all. although rust blued..time frame was fast considering...

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
He is the best! Nice fellow too!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37873 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Doug really knows guns - from simple single shots, to American lever guns, to fine English doubles - and his crew can rebuild and refurbish them all to original condition.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll agree he is nice, I met him once and he was very friendly, also sporting a bowler hat, which takes style.

sorry to hijack, does anybody know if they still color case actions? would a mauser be done before or after carburizing/hardening?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I had them do a custom for me. The gun was done ahead of schedule, work done perfectly as I'd asked and they kept me informed along the way. A class orgainization

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
several other shots

one of us
posted Hide Post
full view

one of us
posted Hide Post
other side

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering that myself Dago. I am still dreaming about that 404J on a Mauser 1898 that had a single square bridge added in back. Just gorgeous.

I have heard that he stopped color casing Mausers due to warpage tendencies, but I do not know that to be a fact.

PS Buckeye, that is a very nice rifle. Does the recoil set you back a pace or two?

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GG375:
Hi

Thinking seriously about sending them a set of mounts for colour case hardening. Anyone had any problems in the past? PM if you would prefer.

Cheers.

GG

The Talley's CCH great the older Warne's don't. Turnbull does a great job.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS Buckeye, that is a very nice rifle. Does the recoil set you back a pace or two?[/QUOTE]

The recoil is really not too bad at all. Its got a decellerator and the gun itself goes 12 1/2 pounds loaded (holds 9 rounds). The weight makes it as much of a creampuff as you can get shooting 535 grain woodleigh's at 2060fps.