Find
Notify
Tools

Small Ring Mauser Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

I have a small ring mauser and have a few questions? It is a small ring mauser chambered in 7mm mauser. It is a cock on closing action. Can this action be rebarreled to 7mm-08?

Thanks for any help you might have.

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, too much pressure for a small ring. I know of one in 308 that tossed it's cookies. Stay with medium pressure cartridges.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
No, too much pressure for a small ring. I know of one in 308 that tossed it's cookies. Stay with medium pressure cartridges.

It might be worthwhile to determine if he has a small ring 98 or not before pronouncing the patient dead.

Does the bolt have the thrid or (safety) lug on the rear? If so, it's a 98 and may be suitable. Next, do you know if it has small reeiver threads (.980"x12 tpi) or large (1.100"x12 tpi)? If small, then provided the action is in good shape there would be no reason not to consider the 7mm-08.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it cocks on closing, it's not a 98

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
That'll teach me to post before my second cup of coffee. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Again,

I have a little more info on the Mauser action. The name on the action is, FABRICA DEARMAS OVIEDO. Tha ring OD is 1.308", the barrel thread OD is .989" 12 tpi, the distance between the action screws is 7 11/16".

Thanks for any feedback.

The Big Dog

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Spanish Mauser. M93 or M95.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote