Find
Notify
Tools

Timney trigger issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
I recently installed a timney trigger in my Ruger M77 (pre mark II) 7mm08. This rifle had the typical ruger-terrible trigger. My dad had gotten me a timney trigger 12-15 years ago as a stocking stuffer, but he never installed it for me, and it got lost during a move. I was recently borrowing some supplies from him, and came across it. I've actually been looking for an aftermarket trigger for the gun online, but haven't had much luck finding one for the old m77.
Anyway, I installed the trigger, inletted (actually over-inletted while trying to sort out the non working safety issues) the stock, and worked out all the kinks as best I could. I have done a fair amount of (successful and happy) trigger work previously, on several S&W revolvers, Ruger revolvers, and Remington bolt actions, so I do have a basic understanding of how a trigger works, though I do not have a mastery understanding of the workings, or the terminology. Long story shorter, this trigger gave me hell, and was slam firing from the get go, with the safety sticking, and generally not engaging at all.
After carefully following the instructions, I carefully started to disregard them. The instructions basically told me that the creep/sear engagement was factory set at the optimum, so leave it alone. BS.
After trying everything else I knew to do, I carefully began to play with the creep engagement. I was able to end the slam fires, and get the safety to working OK, but now I have a fair amount of creep, including a "jump" before actually engaging the sear. The creep isn't terrible, but I obviously expect to be able to adjust the creep out of an aftermarket trigger. If I adjust it to remove anymore creep, I will be able to push on the rear of the bolt and cause the firing pin to be released.

As a point of reference, I have several Rem 700's of which I have played with the factory triggers. I love the rem 700 factory trigger once adjusted. I would be pleased to get the same performance from this timney. This is my first timney, and I am, obviously, thus far not impressed. I am however humble enough to allow for my ignorance being the real problem. I have polished the sear that the rifle retains, and am pretty confident that the creep issue is internal to the Timney trigger itself.
The trigger is much better than the original, and if this is as good as it gets, I can live with it. I just HATE creepy triggers.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my limited experience Timney's are not a drop-in for Ruger 77's. There is some machining required. My friend had warranty issues with his 77 (barrel) that had a Timney in it and Ruger removed it, and replaced the modified parts at no charge. There warranty liability etc requires the gun to be in original configuration before it can be returned to the customer. They did bagg up his Timney and modified parts and returned them to him with the gun; he specifically asked that they be returned.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
If by machining, you mean stoning the sear that remains with the gun, I did do that. As to the instructions, and my evaluation, there is no further work that should be needed for this particular year/make/model of gun, other than adjusting the poundage to your liking, and inletting the stock so that the timney has room (all of which, I have done). Thanks for any and all advice.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I replaced my ruger M77 tang safety trigger last year with a Timney (on what was a 6mm rebarreled to a 243AI), although it wasn't a 15 year old one.

I did not have to adjust the creep/sear engagment, it was fine. Only adjusted the pull to ~ 3 lbs and was done. (yes, I had to inlet the stock for the safety wire).

I did not stone the remaining sear as the instructions said that you could, but may not need it.

I bought another one than to put into another gun (220 swift), haven't done it yet though.

So, in my case I didn't have any problems and it was a drop in replacement (except for the stock inletting, and taking off a bit off of the top of the trigger guard).

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post