New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber 9.3x62 to 9.3x64
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've run across a couple of nice commercial Mauser actioned sporters in 9.3x62 and would like to know if there's any reason why these shouldn't be rechambered to the 64mm Brenneke version. Bear in mind that these are vintage guns, but then again, lots of folks around here seem to build rifles for modern, high pressure rounds using Mauser actions. I realize some follower, rail and feed ramp work may also be necessary.

This just seems like an easy way to obtain a 9.3x64 rather than building one from the action up. It's a caliber I've always wanted to own.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is DEFINITELY a reason not to rechamber them . . . it is so you can sell the 9,3x62's to me. [Big Grin] Seriously, the 9,3x62 strikes me as just fine as it is, why rechamber????

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ammo & brass availability is the only thing holding the 9.3x64 back in the US.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You better check out the specs on 9.3 x 64mm as it is entirely different case, not just 2mm longr.

It may not fit or feed in the orginal aciton.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
I rechambered a 9.3x62 CZ 550 to the 64. All that was required was chambering and opening the bolt face a bit. Feeds fine. I don't know if I would do it to a vintage Mauser though. Cobalt

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The only reason for not building a 9.3X64 is the availability of brass. It can be made from .458 win but requires alot of work. the RWS stuff seems to have dried up. The 9.3X64 is a real powerhouse. I hit 2900fps with a 250 gr bullet out of mine. That's 340 wby territory. If the gun will feed a 9.3X62 then it will feed a 9.3X64. You sometimes have to open the boltface a little but not always.-Rob

[ 12-10-2002, 02:34: Message edited by: Robgunbuilder ]

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote