Find
Notify
Tools

Can it be done to a Ruger M-77
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
I have a question on the Ruger M-77 if anyone can answer it. If it already has a magnum boltface can the bolt face be opened up to fit the .404 Jeffrey case? I am thinking of having a wildcat done that will fit on the standard length action. I just need to know if the M-77 can be safely opened up.

Thank You

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most all of Rick Jamison's experimental work on his line of short wildcats based on the 404 case were done in Ruger 77s. They were 308 length and were done on the short 77 action. He said he used mainly 243 rifles as donors. He also said he didn't have to do anything to the magazine or rails to get them to feed. Of course it took bolt face and extractor mods. I don't know if they were the later (contol feed) or the older (tang safety} models.

I don't see why a 30'06 length would not work as well.

Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,
All the Rugers have a 0.694" bolt diameter, including the old pushfeed M77, the new CRF Mark II M77, and The M77 Magnum action that fits the 416 Rigby rim of 0.590".

The 404 J has a rim of 0.537" so it would be an easy fit in any Ruger 77 bolt face.

The old pushfeed with the plunger ejector would be avoided, eh? My old 1978 Ruger Roundtop M77 in 30-06 is still shooting 1/2 MOA. God Bless America those Rugers are great rifles! [Big Grin]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So daggaron,

if a mauser 98 can fit a .585 Nyatti cartridge (which the original design allowed for) then a .585 Nyatti could theoretically be done on an MK11 30/06 length action ??that bolt face is not much smaller than the cz magnum boltface of .700"

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
It would have to be an M77 Magnum Mark II, the one they use for the 416 Rigby.

I think the regular Mark II M77 for 30-06 is too short. The bolt face could be opened up for a "585 Nyati Short." But I think there is less room in the standard length M77 than there is in a Mauser 98 as far as opening up the action length goes. You would have to cut two of them unequally and weld a long front to a long back, and then you might as well go for an action to hold a 5" Carttridge overall length. [Big Grin] Then you could neck the Nyati 3.25" brass down to .510 and load 50 BMG bulleted rounds into the magazine.

I have seen the Ruger Mark II M77 Magnum converted from 416 Rigby to 505 Gibbs.

The 505 Gibbs and 585 Nyati both have a 0.635" rim don't they?

Has anybody ever done a 585 Nyati Short?

Might call that the "585 Dwarf Buffalo."

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the .585 short seed in Robgunbuilders mind. I magine a .585 cal rifle on one of those little model 7 remingtons [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
jamision's 'cats = wsm, for what it's worth.

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
You know I have been recently doing the calculations on what it would take to bring the NYATI down in size to just match 460 WBY performance. That's enough isn't it? I think it actually could be built on a short action like a M-70 for example. The boltface is not the problem it's the rest of the rail work, magazine, ramp work. However, it would be a super concept. Frankly the CZ 550 .416 action is on the long side for the 2.8 inch Nyati. I just happen to also have a spare CZ550 .375 action and another 585 pac-Nor barrel available. -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote